I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Redfish Blanck
Posted by: John Kraft (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 05:28PM

Going down to Venice,La. in early fall . Fishing primarly for Redfish and trout. Being mostly a fresh water guy I am not familiar with a couple of things I researched. Want to build a Casting rod befor I go. I was told we should spool up with 30# braid, cast 1/4 to 3/8 oz. jigs. Also what I've read said medium to light rods. Is medium and light in fresh water same as in salt water? Would really like suggestions for a blank from you guys that have fished for redfish. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redfish Blanck
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: April 10, 2011 05:36PM

P844 is the universal "go to" blank for inshore use. There are TONS of choices ... Swampland (near your intended fishing grounds), Batson, NFC and others. Want something a little longer, look at the P904 - six inches of extra reach.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 06:04PM

My favorite blanks for trout and redfish are Batson's RX8 XSB822.5 and their RX8 XP843 and XP844 popping blanks. I see no reason to fish redfish and especially specs with 30lbs braid. I use 14 most of the time, and if I'm going just for trout I may go lower than that. Like Jim said some want a 7'6" blank but I don't feel it's necessary unless you are chasing the birds. A rod that is properly set up will cast farther than is really needed for most situations.

Lane

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.23.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 06:17PM

MHX SJ843 or MHX CB845 are all you need bud.
We landed a limit of trout and redfish yesterday throwing plugs, popping corks and the like on those blanks built as both spinning and casting rods. You won't be disappointed with it.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 07:18PM

If I were going to Venice I would certainly check with Lance Dupre of Swampland Tackle. Either a Castaway or Batson blank will do. Lance will be able to tell you which is the most popular blank for the area. I have recently bought three blanks from him and am very satisfied with his choices.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 07:22PM

2x drop Lance or Bill (Stevens) an email or call them up. He's right there has the blanks for the area and is familiar with the area and fishing techniques

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 09:10PM

venice is my back yard so as far as redfish the last thing you want is a light rod. Pound for pound the have one of the stongest fights. I would go with a 7' to a 7'-6" medium heavy with a fast action tip. You're guna want a rod with some backbone and durability. If it's your first time you will be back. Email me if you have any questions.

Posted by: Bob Pratt (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:18AM

John, I live on the Texas coast down in Rockport and we do a little bit of fishing for reds and trout. I like the Batson RX8 popping rod blanks especially the XP842 through XP845. I will be building 3 rods on the 843 a later on, I've got to get my 4 grandkid's rods out of the way first. The 843 has a mod-fast action and enough backbone to handle most Redfish. You can even land a big bull without killing your equipment with a little work and having your drag set properly. You can have more than a little bit of fun catching reds and trout on the 842, you'll swear the thing is going to break in half but it never does. I use 30# Prower Pro, not because I think that's what's needed but to help fill up the reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 09:27AM by Bob Pratt.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:43PM

843 844 the only thing i have ever used for trout and reds. 12# braid 30# is strictly for meat fishing or tournament fishing go light and have fun my .02

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: John Kraft (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 07:30PM

Thanks for all the input! Its got me on the right track. Also I do know how to spell "blank". You guys are great!

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster