I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unibutt #2 or #4 for 80lb
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: April 10, 2011 07:14PM

Am planning a 80lb standup tuna stick and need to choose between a size 2 or size 4 Aftco bent butt. The manufacturer's recommendations suggest the #4 for the 80lb class, but is there any reason not to use the #2 for this line class? After all, it is lighter and cheaper!

Thanks in advance,
Dane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unibutt #2 or #4 for 80lb
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 07:29AM

UB4 for an a80 lb class rod. The hood openings for a UB2 will accept a 50 or a 30, but are too small for the width of an 80 reel.

If you are looking to save money, I would suggest bass fishing. LOL

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 08:33AM

LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:50AM

Dane, You said your building a stand-up rod for 80 pound line, so I'm going to assume you will be using a fast action stand-up blank for your build. If you're not, you'll most likely be sorry later. The #4 uni-butt is intended for a regulation 80# rod (chair rod) and as Kevin said it will hold a 80 wide reel. Unless your Superman, you shouldn't use that larger a reel for stand-up fishing. You also don't want the standard uni-butt, as it's too long for stand-up fishing. You want the "short" butt. You will also need to shorten the blank by approximately the length of the uni-butt to maintain the action ( cut from the butt). If I have your blank right then a #2 short would most likely fill the bill and will hold a 50 wide reel easily.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.22.49.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:01AM

I agree with Bill. An 80 IGFA type blank is designed to be used from a chair or from the rod holder with the #4 Unibutt and around 45# of drag IIRC. A #4 unibutt is HUGE!!! Most people fishing 80# line do not want an IGFA (ie very slow, and stiff) blank, but something designed for stand up fishing using 80# line!

Fishing 80# line, I go anywhere from a 40-100# blank to a 50-130# blank, depending on the blank and how the rod will be used. A Boomer Jr is sweet for 80# and you can push it higher, too. A 24mm aluminum reel seat will often hold an 80 reel, at least on the few rods I tried an older Penn Int 80 on! I prefer a slick butt setup if I can fit the slick butt over the blank; I don't want to turn down much off of the butt section of a rod if I don't have to. If it doesn't, I will usually go with a Unibutt #2 short straight setup. Haven't tried an 80W on a Unibutt yet though.

I wouldn't use an 80 for fishing standup. A 70 with braid will hold PLENTY of line. My Avet 50W has 600 yds of 130# Jb Hollow and a 150 yd topshot of 130# Momoi. My 30W has 600 yds of 100# jb hollow and 80# Momoi Diamond mono. 700 yds should be plenty with 35# of drag available unless you are targetting Giant BFT commercially!

IIRC, a 8" slick butt, normal 25mm gimbal and a 24mm reel seat mounted up locking or a 10" slick butt, gimbal and 24mm reel seat mounted downlocking give around the same reel position as the #2 Short Straight Unibutts, which is the majority of my customers preferred sizing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:28AM

Are you sure you really need a uni-butt at all? Unless transportation and storage of a 6' or shorter rod is a problem, you may be better off building it straight-thru.

RodMaker Volume 5 #6 would be a big help to you.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.22.49.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 11:04AM

WIth some blanks (some of the Calstars), straight thru isn't really an option. The slick butts are between a 15/16"-1" ID (American Tackle) and others are listed at 1.07" ID and some blanks are well over that at the butt. A Baja Boomer is 1.175" at the butt, Boomer Jr is 1.125" at the butt. The Boomer Jr you may be able to fit if you ream out the slick butt and take a tiny bit off of the blank, but I'd rather cut it and install it into a metal ferrule to reinforce where you had to thin it out slightly and use a Unibutt. Most Seekers will fit in the Slick Butts as do most other blanks, but there are some blanks that will not fit w/o reaming and thinning out the slick butt or thinning down the butt of the blank. For tuna trolling rods, EVA or Hypalon isn't an option since the rods spend time in the rod holder and it can be difficult to remove the rod from the holder once you get a good size fish on and it will mess up the EVA/Hypalon. The Rail Rod Composite Cork handles may work, but you would have to ream a lot out. It depends on how the rod is used and where. West Coast rail rods can use Hypalon for the rear grip, but on the East Coast, most guys are trolling bars or Ballyhoo with the rod in the holder until it gets a fish on it.

Some guys prefer the Unibutt to switch uppers on different rods and to make it easier to switch out in case of a failure. Other guys like the solid aluminum and extra weight in the rod holder. Some guys like the colors of the Unibutt or that it is all one piece since they see rods improperly built where the gimbals and reel seats start to spin. For bigger fish, some people prefer a bent butt, which you can't make with a straight thru handle.

I prefer a straight thru handle whenever possible, but I don't mind using a Unibutt if it's a #2 short!

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 12:43PM

I never build slick butt rods. They save the customer a few dollars in the beginning, but after the first few trips, they look like crap and ultimately the customer is unhappy with them. Not only that, I don't want my name on an inferior product and the slick butt is definitely inferior to a metal unibutt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster