I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie - Going to Give this Rod Building Try...
Posted by: Dennis McMenamy (130.76.96.---)
Date: April 07, 2011 10:57AM

First, I want to introduce myself, and say hello to everyone. I have read, and read about rod building and overall will admit this adventure will be for personal use or builds. My time will be limited, therefore at most, I plan to make time for a build of personal rods for mainly Catfishing. I currently use the Ugly Stix - Tiger Rods which have performed great. But, I'd sure like to add make my own personalized rods (Qty 5 - 6). In all honesty, I have no doubt that I can catch on quickly, as my background is in the Fine Arts, so I hope to apply my artistic and creative nature to rod building. As I see it, another great challenge. I do plan to order an extra blank or two to practice before attempting what no other member has done, incorporating advanced techniques. Can it be done, I hope so and enthusiastically look forward to the challenge with a few obstacles anticipated.

A. I do plan to purchase a book (any recommendations?)
B. I would prefer to purchase a rod wrapper (motorized). (any recommendations?) (I have looked for used, but those are few) (Or, I could use a manual rod wrap? But, as I said, if I catch on quickly, which I do, this could be frustrating)

I do have several Questions regarding Rod Blanks:
I spoke to an online retailer regarding my choices, and wasn't very impressed with the customer service. And I assure you I am not difficult to please, as I had a few questions in order to get a feel for what was a good direction. Unfortunately, it seemed this person was not interested in any discussion regarding the right blank - or ball park. But rather, more concerned for getting off the phone. Just saying.... and I will not say who or what retail it was out of respect for this forum. Anyway, if someone could offer several suggestions, I would appreciate the help.... I would hate to purchase 6 blanks and find out they're wrong, or do not meet my requirements. It seemed that this retailer would rather you hit and miss, which could add cost quickly for mistakes in your choices. I am sure there is a return policy, but wouldn't it be best to get it right the first time? or close there of? Enough of that, and I don't plan to let that detour me.... as I am sure everyone on here has experienced this before.

If I could get some recommendations, I would surely appreciate the guidance. Here are a few things I am looking for in the Blank, and/or rod performance:
1. 7' 6" length (I may need to go with 8' and cut it down)
2. E-glass preferred
3. Medium Heavy
4. 20 - 50, 30 - 60, or within this range.
5. Lure weight 8 - 12 oz
6. Line lbs 50 - 80 lbs. (100 lb maybe considered)
7. I prefer the top 30% to be fairly sensitive for strikes/bites. I am thinking tapering to a size 8 - 10 tip?
8. Back bone to finish or pull power because I have to fight current also

I know you can't have one requirement without possibly affecting another, but again, I am looking for guidance, or suggestions of blanks that I may want to look at. Hopefully something in the $30 - $60 range. And, I will most likely purchase 1 or 2 blanks of difference so I can get a feel for which would work best before I purchase the remaining 5 - 6 blanks. I just need guidance on narrowing it down.

Here are a few questions regarding rod building itself, that seems to be confusing after watching videos and reading:
1. After applying color preserver, is the guide wrap and preserver sealed? If sealed, what is the product?
2. The color of the Blank determines the color of the rod? Or, can you paint the rod any color you want after receipt of the blank?
3. What is used to cut the butt of the blank for shortening? Maximum amount you'd want to shorten an 8' rod - for instance?

As you know I will have additional questions as I proceed but these will significantly help get me going in the right direction.

In advance, thank you for responding.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie - Going to Give this Rod Building Try...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2011 11:19AM

I would suggest getting a book or two and only order your parts after getting a little better feel for what rod building entails. I don't think the retailer you spoke with was necessarily uninterested or trying to get off the phone - you just have offered enough specifics for folks to really dial you in. That's why I again suggest doing a little background work prior to ordering parts and pieces that you may later find out aren't at all suitable for what you wish to do.

As far as "... attempting what no other member has done, incorporating advanced techniques. Can it be done, I hope so and enthusiastically look forward to the challenge with a few obstacles anticipated." I'd suggest you spend some time on the photo page or browsing the pages of RodMaker Magazine. "Advanced techniques" are incorporated by custom rod builders every day.

Other than that, welcome to the hobby.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2011 11:25AM

where are you located? try to find a builder near you and they can help you get started and may even have some blanks on hand to look at. take a look at the live bait blanks and take a hard look at the composite blanks..the composite blanks will give you the best of both graphite and glass and the weight is usually quite abit less... they will have a light tip and good backbone for what you have planned. the rods you are looking to build should not be expensive(for components)...if you like the action of the rods you already have then talk to a supplier and let them know this..they should be able to provide something similar..good luck

Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 11:43AM

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the Craft. A word of caution: There's no known cure for this affliction and the only medicine I know of is to keep learning and building.

To get off to a good start I would highly recommend getting the "Decorative Wraps" book by Billy Vivona, the "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman and get a subscription for the RodBuilder magazine.

Good luck.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 07, 2011 11:44AM

I will suggest a blank to try that is in your price range. Quite a few of the cat fish guys seem to like. It is a live bait blank. Those blanks have a flexible tip to prevent ripping the bait off while casting and a strong butt section for fighting tough salt water fish. I would also look at swim bait blanks but they cost more.

Try the Rainshadow RCLB range. They come in 7 and 8 foot. The lighest power is XL and I'd call that a 15 pound class rod. Each step up gains about 5 pounds in strength. You would probably want the RCLB80M. They are a composite blank. That means you have an E glass blank with an extra layer of graphite in the lower part of the rod to increase strength and keep weight down. I think you will love it.

The thread used to wrap guides comes in two types, normal and NCP. The NCP retains its color and does not need color preserver. The normal stuff requires color preserver if you want the color to stay the same. If you don't use the CP the thread color will become darker and translucent. White thread will become clear but black will stay jet black. Most agree that the normal thread looks better and that the strongest wrap is normal thread with no CP. You finish the job by coating with epoxy designed for the job.

You can use any number of tools to cut blanks. A hacksaw can wotk...so can a file. The easy way is with an abrasive cut off wheel. A dremel tool or die grinder...or chop saw makes quick work. All that said I'd encourage you not to try this at first. A little trimming can radically alter a rod and six inches is a lot. But taking it off the butt you will reduce the rods power and make its action slower.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a rod wrapper. All you need is a few stands built from 1" by 4" with a V-notch in them. A coffee cup can hold the guide wrapping thread and a you can run the thread through a phone book to provide the required tension. You can make do with what you have on hand. Get an idea of how you want to do things before you rush out and buy stuff. You may decide this addiction (it isn't a hobby) isn't for you.

The most important thing for you to acknowledge from the beginning is that weight reduction is key. Anything and everything you can do to reduce weight, especially on the tip of the rod, will pay dividends. Don't worry about strength beyond picking the right blank. That and forget about how you think a rod should look. Everything in a store is built to catch fishermen. They are better ways if you don't let those preconceived notions get in your way.

Oh, forget about saving money. You won't but you will have much better quality rods. In fact you'd have to try very hard to build something as bad as an ugly stick:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2011 12:11PM

Dennis,

As you can see we all love helping new builders with questions and suggestions. Tom pointed out that you need to pick up a few books and do more research before making any significant purchases. I know many young builders that got in way over their heads and frustration set in and the craft was shelved or never attempted.

There is so much to rod building that you can become overwhelmed in a second. So as John stated find a local builder that you can mentor from and find out what mistakes he made when starting out so you can avoid costly errors. It is an absolute blast and obsession to build your own custom rods and land fish on them. You will find yourself tweeking and make changes to your next build.

Trust me when I say we have all made costly mistakes and trying to keep you from doing the same and improving techniques is what this board and Rodmaker magazine is all about.

Tight lines and welcome aboard,

John Hernandez
SoCal

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 12:26PM

As a new builder myself (2 rods!) I would strongly suggest that you start with a manual wrapper. I built my own and, frankly, while I could modify it to motorize it, have no plans to do so at this point. Its just my opinion, but I believe that you will do a much better job and find it less frustrating to wrap by hand. Even when wrapping by hand, it goes too fast and you won't believe how many times you will stop/start/redo a wrap until it meets your standards. Good luck and have a blast.

Date: April 07, 2011 12:28PM

Other thing I'll add....keep you first one or two nice and simple. Concentrate of functional not looks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis McMenamy (130.76.96.---)
Date: April 07, 2011 03:09PM

Thanks for the information everyone.

I think I'll take Russell & Steven's advice and build my own, since I am still paying off the boat and fairly short on $$. Especially with gas prices going up, ridiculous!

Also, I'll get a few books and read up before purchasing thread, epoxy, and other items until I have an idea of where I want to go with this effort.

Russell, the description of the blank you provided, is right on regarding how I want it to be, strength in the lower area, and enough sensitivity up top without sacrificing all the stiffness. A good balance of flexibility. In other words, I don't want a 6' Saltwater Tuna Rod, but rather the performance of it within a Light Saltwater application. If there is such a thing, and I believe you nailed it.

Unfortunately, I don't know any builders in my area, St. Louis.

And one more question: Regarding blank or rod color, is that something you need to get upfront? Or, do most change the rod color (blank) after purchasing the blank? I am thinking that when a person buys the blank, he/she should buy the ending color at this point. It is what it is at time of blank purchase.

Date: April 07, 2011 03:19PM

Dennis, you have to take the following for gospel.

All rods fish best as a cane pole. The second you add anything....guides....coatings...etc, you degrade performance. So keep weight to a minimum. Why would you want to add paint? The fish don't care how the rod looks. Bottom line, most blanks come with no coating and will be a natural graphite color (like pencil lead).

The RCLB series is popular with the cat fish guys. It is popular with salt water guys (like me). People on the west coast...to weast coast...from north to south like it. Great value too. The RCLB80M is a little heavy IMHO for your needs but matches your specs. I fish the RCLB70ML as a 30# class trolling rod in miami's waters.

Main thing will be how much weight your need to throw and how you handle landing a fish. If you lob cast and use a net or gaff the ML should be strong enough. Ask at cat fishing sights.....surely they will know the rclb line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 07, 2011 04:14PM

Rod blanks are not made in any color you choose. That would make the manufacturing and stocking cost astronomical. Also, changing the color of a blank by the buyer can void the warranty.

To get the color scheme you desire, you work with thread, grips, seats, etc.

Posted by: Dennis McMenamy (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2011 07:50PM

And last but not least, another question:

The type of grip I like is called a Spider Wrap - I think. Is this the correct term? I believe instead of EVA or Cork, nylon thread (heavier thread) is used. It is really nice.

I think that is it... I plan to go to the book store tomorrow and see if they have any of the aforementioned books. I doubt it, but will look.

Date: April 07, 2011 08:54PM

You'll have to visit one of the rod building sponsors to the left to find much in the way of rod building books. Although, Barnes and Nobles and Amazon do carry a limited selection of rod building titles.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 06:30PM

A Spider wrap is a decorative thread wrap and not any kind of grip. If you haven't already, sign up on the Photo Page (at the top) and spend some time going through the various photo categories there. It will blow your mind!! Also check out thew library, glossary and FAQ pages at the top The Search function is also a great tool, there are 10's of 1,000's of post archived here.

Where do you live? I'd bet there are some rodbuilders in you area that would help you out

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 11:53AM

You may be thinking of cord grips like these. [www.rodbuilding.org] I have not used them but they are very durable.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster