I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tin Cans for Permagloss
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:36AM

Would a "lined" 1/2 pint paint can work for storing Permagloss with the screw n' eye method or does the can need to be bare tin on the inside? Just wondering, I could clean up an old stain can and use it but they all have a lining in them. Looks like it may be some kind of epoxy lining.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tin Cans for Permagloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:59AM

You'd have to make sure that the solvent in the PG wouldn't eat into the lining on the inside of the can. I suspect it might. Check to see what type paints came out of those cans. Was it a water based paint?

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 01:55PM

I store my PG in the bottle it comes in with no problems. Each time I open it I give it a shot of argon gas from my TIG torch. The gas displaces the atmospheric gases and with it the humidity. Works like a champ! I've seen a product advertised that uses the same principal but at the moment I can't come up with the name. This trick will work with most paints and will prevent it from "skinning" over in the can.

When you spray the argon or other gas, I have also used propane, you keep the container you are keeping your product in level until it is sealed. The gas is heavier than air so it sinks. When you spray it into the can bottle or whatever it forms a layer on top of the product. Just spray then slip the top on and seal so you do not "spill" the gas layer.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 06, 2011 03:31PM

Bloxygen.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-209.myvzw.com)
Date: April 06, 2011 06:58PM

There is also a product called "Belch". It's nitrogen in an arosol and does the same as argon.
You should be able to get it at woodworking and/or paint stores.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.61.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:44PM

Guys, I sold out o the cans at the Show but should have some in very soon. Go to Mickel's Custom Rods and use the contact page, I'll send you a email as soon as I get them in.

Posted by: George Krumm (---.gci.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:47PM

I went to an auto paint store and bought two new, empty cans for something like $2.50.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:49PM

I just put a Testors metal cap on my PG bottle. FYI - when I loosen the screw to let PG out - air bubbles go in.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 07, 2011 01:40PM

I store my PG in its own bottle as shipped then in a small pastic zip lock bag in the freezer, no issues I have had the same one since 2009 with no problems just used it a few days ago.

Take it out let it warm to room temp, pour into a shot glass and use. No issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster