I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCP thread
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:55AM

Since I started building rods I have mainly used Gudebrod ncp thread in sizes A and C and D. This has worked out well for the type of rods I build and the way I like to build. With Gudebrod gone I have been looking for another manufacturer that has these sizes available. Some have A and C while others have A and D. I can't seem to find any one who makes all 3 sizes.

Does any one here know of any manufacturer of all 3 sizes in ncp type thread?

Thanks
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCP thread
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 12:34PM

Jim,
If you compare some of the various manufacturer thread sizes, you will find that some of one manufacturers thread size of a certain number is the same size as a different number.

Out of curiosity, why do you need any threads other than a thin and a thicker thread?

Mud hole has their new power pro out in different sizes. Pac Bay has different thread sizes. Fish Hawk has different thread sizes.

The claim is that Gudebrod is coming back on line. Some early samples that have been recently received, are obviously old stock, so the folks that bought up Gudebrod don't apparently have everything setup and running yet.

Order samples of each manufacturers sizes, have a caliper on hand and measure each thread as it comes in so you know where it fits into your usage category.

Or, you could go to your local sewing shop and get uncoated thread from there.

You could also go to non NCP thread and wrap that way. You might try wrapping a few rods with non NCP threads, and NO color preserver and see if you like the appearance of this style thread, wraps and coatings.

Some folks like to use NCP.
Some folks like to use non NCP with cp applied.
Some folks like to use non NCP with no CP applied.

It is always interesting to check out new and different things (to you) and come up with your own conclusion.

You don't have to do the testing on a new build. You can just take a scrap blank, or even a dowel and do some test wraps with different applications of cp or not, different finish coats, or different numbers of layers of finish coat.
We all learn every day. A great deal can be learned from doing different things personally and coming to your own conclusions about what may or may not be the use of certain products, or the use or non use of different techniques.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 12:39PM

Why do I like the 3 sizes? Mostly because I build surf rods for large game. So I use size A for my guide underwraps. Then I will use size C on my bottom 3 - 5 guides and then go over that with size D. Then use size D for the remaining upper guides.

I talked to mudhole about their pro wrap. They state their size D ncp is similar to size C of Gudebrod. That just would not work for me

The closest match for me right now is to use A and D. A and C would just not cut it for me

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 12:59PM

Merrick Tackle has A & D (National Rod Winding) and may also have C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster