I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adhesion of epoxy to guidewrap
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 08:33PM

I just posted (2) photos in the guide wraps section of photos showing peeling of epoxy from wraps.
This never happened before; the wraps were completed (1) year ago, fished hard all year, and now brought back to refurbish.
Why no adhesion of epoxy to thread?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adhesion of epoxy to guidewrap
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 08:42PM

NCP? Nylon? Did you use CP?

Is there epoxy penetration under the wraps?

-----------------
AD

Date: April 04, 2011 08:45PM

Nylon.
Yes, CP, but I don't remember what I used at the time.
NO penetration under wraps; again I don't remember the brand.
Completed in shop at approx 70° F

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 09:07PM

John, I have rods that are thirty years old that I used Flex Coat CP and they still look good. Maybe the CP was not completely dry before you added the epoxy. Just thinking...

Date: April 04, 2011 09:13PM

Possibly CP??
Anybody else have a problem with no adhesion after CP?

John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:31PM

John, did you do all the colors of threads the same way? And is it only the black threads having this problem?

Date: April 04, 2011 11:52PM

Hi,Jim,
Only the black thread has this problem.
The blue u'wrap is Madeira® with (2) coats of CP, then black nylon guide wraps with (2) coats CP, then (3) thin coats epoxy.
I've used this black thread before and after this occurence with no problems. This is a real puzzle!
Note: the pink rod was for a guy's wife, known as "the striper queen". I gave the paint shop a bottle of Pepto-Bismol® as a color reference;
maybe that was a bad sign!!

John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 02:00AM

John, That looks like moisture got into your wraps. I see that your guide feet are not fully encapsulated . How well did you fill the tunnels?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 03:16AM

That looks like moisture got into your wraps. I see that your guide feet are not fully encapsulated .

I agree although I'd bet that thread is the problem. It looks as though there was very little penetration by the coatings. What brand of thread is the black thread?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: April 05, 2011 05:55AM

After further investigation, I might not have filled the tunnels as well as I should have.
Would it look like this if I inadvertantly skipped the CP?
The thread is National "D", which has never given me a problem before.

John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 06:20AM

John,

From the pictures I would guess that you used an acrylic cp, and did not enclose the tunnels with epoxy; I say enclose, because even though you might have filled them with cp, not fully enclosing them with epoxy would have left some cp exposed to moisture, which would in turn have caused it to soften possibly causing the epoxy to pull away from the wraps in that area.

If it were me, I would re-wrap the black, not use cp, and finish like normal.

Chris Herrera

Date: April 05, 2011 06:38AM

Chris,
That's exactly what I'm about to do this morning.
Thanks

John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 07:14AM

John I asked if the threads were all finished the same way just to make sure this was a problem with the black alone.

But now, seeing as this is a woman's rod. I am wondering if perhaps she applied some nail polish to the guide wraps to "fancy" them up a little bit and didn't like it and took them off with nail polish remover

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:10AM

CP isn't the problem. Something is wrong with thread or something got on it prior to finishing.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:41AM

I would agree with the tunnel suggestion. It looks like the underwrap is clean, like the epoxy didn't make it in there through the tunnel for some reason.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:52AM

Listen to Tom something was either in the thread or contaminated it prior to finish

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 03:48PM

The CP could have went past the actual finish??? I did that on a personal rod and moisture got inside the wraps quick. just a thought. But a year later of hard use.... dosent sound right. As tom said, something more than likley got on the wraps before finish was applied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 03:50PM by Garrett Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster