I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides on a Fly Rod in Relation to Spline
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 07:39PM

I can't believe I am asking this question after building (5) fly rods, but I've had some long plane rides lately and brought along Tom Kirkman's book on rod building and on another trip Schenk's? book on building fly rods.

The first thing I ever learned about rod building was when Don Morton showed me how to find the spine. Since then I have read or learned to place guides on a fly rod opposite the spine, on the spine, and my personal favorite, but most difficult to find --- on the "hard spine" aka point where rod is least stable.

So, here goes....where should I place the guides on a FLY ROD in relation to the spine? I would not even make this post, but all I could find were posts on casting rods.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides on a Fly Rod in Relation to Spline
Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-157-241.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 07:44PM

Ignore it altogether and build on the straightest axis with the belly of the curve down.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2011 07:45PM

It makes no difference. The spine does not create nor inhibit rod twist and has nothing to do with casting accuracy. Stability comes from guide location. On a fly rod, the guides are on the bottom of the rod so it is going to be inherently stable under fish fighting conditions. So too, will a spinning rod.

In the upcoming issue of RodMaker, we have now provided some hard data indicating that building on the spine also results in less deadlift capacity on that axis (the reason the rod is easier to bend that way is because that's the weakest axis).

Of course, that fact that spine makes no difference means that there is no right nor wrong way to orient it. I build on the straightest axis and do others, while some continue to building on the spine. Do whatever you prefer and have fun building and fishing your rod.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:21PM

I build on the straightest axis first, but if the blank is straight, I place the guides opposite of the spline. I think this gives slightly more power on the cast but a little less lifting power.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:29PM

Keep in mind that the softest (spine) axis and stiffest axis, are not 180 degrees apart.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 02:05PM

straightest axis over spline for me too.....

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.87.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:38PM

Tony,
I build all my rods with the stiffest axis facing the fish.
My thought is that when playing a fish the stiffest axis is in compression when the loading is highest. Since failure is mostly of a compressive nature this should place the strongest rod axis where it will accomplish the most good.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: THOMAS LANGLEY (---.byvw.hsi.whidbey.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 06:26PM

"In the upcoming issue of RodMaker, we have now provided some hard data indicating that building on the spine also results in less deadlift capacity on that axis (the reason the rod is easier to bend that way is because that's the weakest axis)."

Tom- Is the article you're referring to in above issue available on this site somewhere or what issue are you referring to that I might find a copy of that issue.
I am building a 11' 6wt fly rod and to take advantage of the highest lifting power of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster