I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Donation rod for a veterans center
Posted by: Matt Carroll (---.amgen.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 08:43PM

I'm getting ready to start a couple of Surf rods for a veterans center and I have a few of questions to start.

1. Are there any blank manufacturers that give military discounts. I'm looking to build 2 rods, probably 9-10 feet, 2 piece. I like the Batson SU blanks but it depends on question 2. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

2. I want to use only American made components, is this still possible? As a veteran myself I can't in good conscience give away a rod to a war vet on memorial day unless it's all American, I’d rather not do it at all.

3. I've never built a rod for someone in a wheelchair, what is the best configuration. Has anyone built a similar rod?

Thanks,

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Donation rod for a veterans center
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 08:59PM

Just a couple of things, the Batson SU series hasnt been made in years. The Batson Line is now made over sea's. And I really cant think of a single guide made here in teh US, but could be wrong. Wish I was of more help than that but its all I have to add right now, look at Lamiglas , St. Croix, or Seeker for US made blanks

Date: March 29, 2011 09:22PM

Thanks Chuck,

Maybe I'll have to rethink the all american aspect. I know what it means to these guys to be able to get out on the water and enjoy themselves. Don't want to deprive them just because I'm stubborn. Also I may not be building the best possible rod that I can and that wouldn't be right either.

It's the same type of internal argument I have everytime I need to replace a tatered American flag and can't find one made in the US, it should be against the law.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:26PM

I built a 6'6 spinning rod for the Veterans Affairs Dept. here in town. It is mainly for show as they just hung it up on the wall. It is wrapped with an American flag and has some military decals on it. It's gonna be hard to determine for sure if your components are American made. That's really gonna take some shopping around.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:30PM

REC still makes guides here in the U.S., if that's important to you.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:32PM

If you are intent on made in US parts then your choices will be Lamiglas or St Croix for the blanks and likely Recoil for the guides (from REC). I think I'd keep the rod down to 9 feet (or less) if this is going to be cast from a sitting position.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:38PM

deleted

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 09:44PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Matt Carroll (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 01:05AM

David, these rods will get used their not for display. The center does a couple of fishing outings every years so these rods either get used during the outings or get raffled and the proceeds go to the center. I had specifically asked that any rods I build go directly to the vets for their personal use, hence my desire for american made components

Tom, I will look in to the REC guides thank you

Ken, I will contact lamiglass, one of their pro guides lives close by, thank you.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 09:38AM

If you do this, a nice thing you can do is incorporate service campain ribbon (s) on to the rod , with either wraps or paint . Larry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:19PM

These guys make US blanks ... St Croix, Seeker, Calstar, Lamiglas, North Fork Composites, Rogue.
These guys make US guides and reel seats ... REC Components.

That is NOT an all-inclusive list AND not all the products by all the companies is US made ... but it will get you going in the right direction.

Date: March 30, 2011 08:11PM

Larry, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of a way to incorporate all the branches but the campain ribbons are a great idea. I could make each guide wrap a different ribbon.

Jim, a local supplier has offered to sell me 2 lamiglass blanks at a more than resonable price. I've always had good luck with Lamiglass so it's a win win.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2011 05:13PM

Matt,

Regarding the build for someone in a wheelchair. I have built several and the best thing to do is go to the source. If the rod is not a surprise, go to the person in the wheelchair and ask them what is comfortable for them. You ma want to take the blank and reel seat and get their input. Just my experience. Comfort and leverage to that person when fishing is everything.

Tight lines and Semper Fi,

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster