I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank question
Posted by: David Teague (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:31PM

Over the past few days I have been looking at rod discussions on other sites...I came across folks talking about nano carbon rods...I assume this has to do with the epoxy used during the process of making the blank as I don't think the carbon fiber and fiberglass has changed much over the years...can anyone give me more info on this. I'd like to hear your thoughts

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank question
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:33PM

I think this relates to the 3M binder that St Croix is using (and others may adopt).

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 09:52PM

It is the 3M new Nano binder, not carbon fiber. #M is carefully releasing the product to only a few blank manufacturers at present. Go to the 3M web site and search for the information.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2011 12:13AM

I am only aware of ONE manufacturer that has licensed and deployed the 3M Matrix Resin system, although my understanding is that one other IS licensed ... just not in production. It is definitely a resin-based solution. You can read more on the St Croix site ... [www.stcroixrods.com].

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 12:22AM

Yes, but are they making any BLANKS available using the new resin?

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2011 06:44AM

St Croix has blanks, in stock, with the technology. You will find the 3M Matrix Resin being used in products displaying the NSi logo ... SC5 blanks (Legend Xtreme, Legend Elite and Bank Robber rods) and SC2 Offshore blanks (Legend Salt rods). The SC5 blanks can be purchased immediately. The SC2 Offshore blanks are still be released (now into mid-April).

BTW, do NOT assume that your vendor has the new SC5 blanks (all SC2 Offshore blanks have the technology). Ask them to look at the butt end. On the label it will have the "NSi" symbol, which will immediately designate that it IS the newer stock with the 3M developed resin. FYI, these blanks have been repeatedly tested as being 30% stronger on average ... there is a difference.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 06:49AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 07:45AM

I'll 2nd Jim...

The new St. Croix blanks have the NSI logo right on the stickers and bag tag. You'll know immediately.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 02:30AM

Funny this showed up!

I went to the Oregon Sportsman show this year, I Ran across a vendor named Wright & McGill and spoke with Trevor Storlie for good hour on this new developed resin from 3M. It was my understanding from his conversation that his company was the only one using this new resin and he also had the rods on display as well. He also explained to me the reason only a very few have this new resin is because of how they have to purchase the resin. They cant just buy small amounts of this stuff from 3M, they have to purchase this stuff in large vats. The other reason he mention was the fact its all overseas in Japan.... 3M's home plate! What gets me...is during that conversation he made it sound like his company was the only one using it (guess he thought I was one of those fellas not educated on the subject) I already new St.Croix was in the loop on the stuff. Anyways just thot I would share that tidbit after seeing a post about this new goop! It was at least a learning expedition for me on the subject for the new and upcoming.

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster