I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Tension
Posted by: steve clark (207.144.92.---)
Date: March 22, 2011 12:34PM

Browsing the photo section, came across Roger's 'Thread stand for large thread spools', which uses bent piano wire as thread guide . . . and I might have thunk a thought

Often, 'fuzzies' are attributed to thread rubbing in Singer-style thread tensioners, and the solution is usually to applu tension to the spool. I have no idea how Roger tensions thread coming off his thread stand, but just for arguments sake, let's say tension was applied at the spool before routing thru the three guide holes / rings. It wouldn't take much of a leap for me to imagine thread rubbing within these holes might cause 'fuzzies' on the thread coming out the far end. If not cost-prohibitive, would it make sense to install small rollers at these points to alleviate rubbing, something along the line of rollers out of salvaged roller guides ?

Peace, Roger !

steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 12:34PM by steve clark.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Tension
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 12:43PM

Steve,
I have used many different type thread tensioners as I have built rods over the years.
But I simply use the polished disks that are spring loaded for the thread to tension the thread. I have polished all of the disks that I use to tension the thread, so that there is nothing to catch on the thread.

I really have no issue at all with fuzzies, with the various threads that I use.

By the way, I use a different system when I work with metallics which are more prone to damage when wrapping. But since my quantities of metallic wraps are much smaller, I don't use the large spools of metallic thread.

For the line guides in the picture of the large thread spools there is essentially near 0 force on the thread, since there is virtually no force required to pull the line from the top of the spool and through the loops of the piano wire.

Thanks for the thoughts

Roger

Posted by: philip hardy (---.vanco.co.uk)
Date: March 23, 2011 04:54AM

I'm thinking about installing piano wire tensioners to my set up. Can you guys tell me what gauge piano wire works best?

Philip

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 12:14PM

The one that gives YOU the right tension work best. I would start with something like about 1/6th and go from there. You can go to a hobby shop and buy a variety for a few $$.

You might actually want to put together a couple of different sets of springs. Depending on the rod being built, and or the thread being used, I will often change the thread tension.
As a result, if you are using a piano wire spring, you might need a couple of different sets of springs, if you change the tension very much during your wrapping.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2011 12:16PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster