I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Wrap Thread Problem
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.lightspeed.flsmca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 03:45PM

I bought the large 4 oz. spool of Pro Wrap thread. The way the Pro Wrap plastic spool is designed it does not fit on the carriage of my Renzetti rod building lathe. Before I send the thread back, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and it there is a way to make this fit?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wrap Thread Problem
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 05:03PM

I don't believe any of teh 4Oz spools will fit. I just wined it on pro spools using the lathe. Still does not answer your question but it works

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2011 05:24PM

Rich
If it the same as the other 4oz spools, this is what I did I took an empty 100yd spool from Gudebrod and cut it in half and then I sanded down the drum to fit inside the 4oz spool and worked just fine
Bill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 06:02PM

Rich,
For any of these large spools, which don't have a top on the spools, the thread is really designed to be taken off of the top end of the spool.
As a result, I have made up several thread holders which hold the thread and spool it out as needed, feeding the line off of the top of the spool.

Even if you re spool the thread, it is still a good idea to have such a thread holder to hold the thread, as you re spool it onto a smaller spool.

If you want to re spool the line, simply take a threaded bolt that is a fairly snug fit on the inside of your thread spool that you are going to fill.
Put on the spool, put a nut on the threaded rod to hold the spool secure and then simply slip the end of the bolt into the chuck on your power wrapper. Use the power wrapper to spin the thread spool, and spool rod wrapping thread on your filler spool in a manner analogous to filling a bait casting spool at a fishing store.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 06:06PM

I thought they used to sell a 4oz thread spool attachment

Date: March 21, 2011 06:08PM

P.S.
Here is a picture of the thread stand that I made a bit ago to handle the larger spools that I have recently began to use:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Note that the piano wire is bent in such a way to direct the rod to come straight up, over to clear the spool and then back down to use my low location on my thread tension device. If you were just respooling a smaller thread, simply just run the thread through the first two wire loops to get the thread up and off the spool and over to clear the spool, then on over to your spool that you are filling with the bulk spool.

Good luck
Roger

Date: March 21, 2011 06:09PM

p.s.
The first stand that I built was simply made the same way, but just used a piece of bent up coat hanger in the same shape. A common coat hanger will work just fine as a thread guide to direct the thread up, off of the center top of the spool and over to clear the spool to avoid line tangles.

Roger

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.lightspeed.flsmca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 06:34PM

Thanks everyone. I'm sure with all this information I will be able to figure out a way to use this thread. I hate to deal with the hassle of returns and postage costs. Thanks again!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2011 06:35PM

too big wind them on to a smaller spool bro.

Date: March 21, 2011 08:25PM

Gabe,
If a builder has a lot of money to throw away, you can buy a commercial thread spool filler for only $300

[www.amapparelsupply.com]

Roger

Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 08:51PM

What I did is turn some Oak tapered bushings with a 1/4" hole for each end of the spool and placed the whole spool on my Renzetti spool carriage.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 01:43AM

Rich,I got this from Renzetti for my unit about 4years ago.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 07:50AM

Dennis
Thanks for the photo - finally someone who has as much "stuff" on the bench as I do ..... LOL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 08:36AM

use an arbor or cork sized to fit in the spool Then ream the hole to fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 11:24AM

Dennis i like the spool holder but could not find it on the Renzetti site.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Date: March 22, 2011 12:36PM

Dennis,
Out of curiosity, do you have any issues with thread tension to pull the line off of these heavy thread spools using the type holder shown in your picture? (I suspect that the thread tension change is not as much as if the thread were sitting on the bench during use, since the thread spool is resting on the side and is not in contact with the base of the spool.

This was one of the issues that I had, especially when working on lighter action rods, that the effort required to turn the larger and heavier thread spools gave me thread tension issues - especially on the lighter action rods.

This was one of he main reasons that I went to the industrial thread type spool holder with the line being pulled off fo the top of the spool with no effort requried and thus not affecting the tension of the thread on the blank being wrapped.

Thanks for any updates.

Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 02:55PM

Ken, You should hear what my wife has to say about how I keep my shop!

Paul,I dont know if its still offered. You might want to call them and ask.

Roger, I have NO thread tension problems with this set up however, it makes the back end of the carriage heaver with that one spool alone on it. But it still has NO effect on usage, just feels heavy.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster