I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jig rod
Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: March 21, 2011 03:48PM

I have a customer that is wanting a sacalait jig rod that the line goes through the rod. I have seen these before but I would not know where to find a blank like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jig rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 05:45PM

A really, really, really good idea is to read the thread below about interline blanks and then do all that you can to discourage your customer from ordering such a rod.

Very very very few reasons to build and or use such a rod, and plenty of reasons NOT to use such a rod or blank.

Be safe and good fishing.

Roger

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 07:01PM

I found such a rod that washed up on the shore line behind the house, complete with reel. Looks like it might have cost about $7.99 on a good day, when it was new. Telescoping, etc. If you want it, and will pay the shipping you can have it, if my son hasn't already put it in the burn pile. BTW, I live on one of the better crappie lakes in Arkansas.

Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 09:05PM

I appreciate the comments and the offer.

The reason he wants a rod like this is because at times he fishes really tight cover and an interline blank would eliminate line tangle on branches. We also talker about a jig pole with micros but that still would not completely accomplish what he is looking for.

Date: March 22, 2011 12:36AM

Scott,
Another option - do as many pan fishermen do.
Take a fiberglass long fishing rod. Tie a fishing line on the end and go fishing with no reel and no guides.

Take care
REW

Date: March 22, 2011 11:53AM

Roger, the problem with that is when fishing 2-3' deep you have a 2-3' piece of line hanging off the tip of the rod. When trying to thread that through a 2" gap in a tree top you will get caught up. The idea is to have the jig sucked all the way to the tip as you stick the rod into the tree top and release the jig once in the top.

Date: March 22, 2011 11:57AM

Scott,
Makes sense.
By the way, I was really kidding when I was speaking about using the pole and line on the end.

Roger

Date: March 22, 2011 12:05PM

Scott,
But I think one thing that would probably work pretty well, since you are not using this rod for casting, would be to get a longer blank of the appropriate action, and then build it as a spinning rod.
But for guides put on one size 25 about 15 inches from the reel, to get the line going, and then drop to numerous size 2.5 micros on the underside of the rod, to keep the line really snug to the blank, and to minimize tangling with the branches.
By keeping the guides all on the underside of the blank, and by having a large number of them, you would be minimizing the chance of tangling the line in the branches.

Another thing that would Might help would be to use a relatively stiffer line. By using a relatively stiffer line, like a mono XT- the line would tend to stay straight as it went from guide to guide and would have less likelood of sagging and getting a loop caught on a branch.

You aren't concerned with weight, so you can put on as many guides as needed to keep the line tight to the blank. Since you aren't concerned with casting, use just the one larger guide to allow your reel to retreive line without a herky jerky action and you might have a pretty good setup for your unique application.

All it takes is a few minutes to tie up a set of guides on an existing rod after stripping the current guides and you could have a working model in an hour or two.

Roger

Date: March 22, 2011 12:24PM

Thanks again Roger. Being that the interline blanks do not appear to be made any more it looks like it will have to be a similar set up to what you mentioned.

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> But I think one thing that would probably work
> pretty well, since you are not using this rod for
> casting, would be to get a longer blank of the
> appropriate action, and then build it as a
> spinning rod.
> But for guides put on one size 25 about 15 inches
> from the reel, to get the line going, and then
> drop to numerous size 2.5 micros on the underside
> of the rod, to keep the line really snug to the
> blank, and to minimize tangling with the branches.
>
> By keeping the guides all on the underside of the
> blank, and by having a large number of them, you
> would be minimizing the chance of tangling the
> line in the branches.
>
> Another thing that would Might help would be to
> use a relatively stiffer line. By using a
> relatively stiffer line, like a mono XT- the line
> would tend to stay straight as it went from guide
> to guide and would have less likelood of sagging
> and getting a loop caught on a branch.
>
> You aren't concerned with weight, so you can put
> on as many guides as needed to keep the line tight
> to the blank. Since you aren't concerned with
> casting, use just the one larger guide to allow
> your reel to retreive line without a herky jerky
> action and you might have a pretty good setup for
> your unique application.
>
> All it takes is a few minutes to tie up a set of
> guides on an existing rod after stripping the
> current guides and you could have a working model
> in an hour or two.
>
> Roger

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 02:24PM

Cabelas and Daiwa used to have the rods in their catalogs. I think the only way you'll find one today, is if you get lucky and find a used one for sale.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster