I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transporting rods on plane?
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2011 05:01PM

So, I am going down to Florida on April 13th, and I was wondering if anyone of you guys know the restrictions of bringing rods (5' - 7') on the plane down from NYC.
I don't know the details on the flight and anything and I'm not sure it matters, but by what means do all of you get your rods to where you are going. The closest thing I have done to this would probably be bringing a 2 piece 7' spinning rod, but thats not complicated. Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Gabe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transporting rods on plane?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 20, 2011 05:41PM

Don't even try, the fees are nasty. Just ship them to your destination in advance, ship them back at the end of the trip. FedEx Ground is my personal preference and it is MUCH cheaper than the airline surcharges.

Posted by: John Kraft (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 05:58PM

Gabe,
Have traveled with my bros. to Northern Canada many times. We all have 7' casting and spinning rods one pc. We insure our rods and check with baggage in quality rod case also have check in agent mark fragile......never hade an issue... dont know fees for checked baggage

Date: March 20, 2011 06:18PM

Sounds pricey with all the stuff going on in the flying industry. Thanks though I'll check it out.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 07:38PM

I just flew to Mexico for a week. Took six 7' rods. Cost $27 each way because I checked two bags. On our flight the first bag was free. Not all are that way.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 08:38PM

Just returned from Panama with a rod tube, about 6'. No extra charge, it would have been the standard fee, but the airline doesn't charge for luggage, (2 per person). I wrap my rods in a fleece blanket in the rod tube. Go to a craft store and but 3 yards of a fleece fabric and get a full wrap around each rod, I alternate the dorection of the rods so I have at least on rod butt on each end. Fold the excess over the end as extra padding and slide the whole into the tube. Never had a broken rod, yet, LOL. One airline did manage to break the rod tube though, but the rods were fine. I have also been adding extra tackle in the tube as wel since you will never get to weight with rods.

Good luck

Date: March 20, 2011 08:58PM

So i guess they can count the tube as a bag, I'm flying with 4 ppl so I guess I'll be fine. I'm going to call up in advance first.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 09:02PM

Call the airline and ask their policy. You might be able to carry them on and put them in a locker up front. Kind of like a coat closet. Or you can ship. That is what I have done. Make sure the tube is sturdy and well sealed. My pvc tube with taped-on caps got beat up and the caps cracked, but the rods were fine. I used USPS. Much cheaper and the post office held the tube and let me come pick it up rather than trying to deliver it to the hotel.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 09:14PM

If it were me, I'd build a couple of multi-piece back-up rods and hand carry them, in addition to shipping or checking my "real" rods.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: March 21, 2011 01:28AM

I thought about that George, but a heavy wreck fishing rod for Amberjacks, and Tuna, and Sharkz and whatnot, in my opinion, should not be multiple piece. Especially when it Is 6' or so.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 21, 2011 08:47AM

Gabe,
if you ever change your mind about building a travel rod, think about getting ones that will fit inside a flat gun case. Most airlines, especially out of the country, will let you carry that on board.
Being flat it goes into the overhead bin and you can pack stuff onto it.
On small planes going back country it fits between your legs and doubles as a tray to eat off of.
Good luck getting travel blanks though! Good ones are like chicken teeth.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2011 08:56AM

As a side note, I keep my reels in my carry-on bag. I get some funny looks, but I'm not taking the chance of losing a reel.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2011 07:59AM

OK - So it's probably too late for this but. How about a detachable butt section? Several manufacturers make them (AFTCO, Stuart at least) Would cut your overall length and still maintain a one-piece rod blank

Date: March 22, 2011 11:19PM

I thought about that too but....A friend of mine had that on one of his 250' of water wreck rods (was split at the reel seat) and he hooked a 50lb amberjack. He was pulling and pulling and he realized the rod wasn't bending when he pulled. Someone pointed out to him that his rod was bending by the reel seat. He ended up pointing the rod at the water and reeling. 50 minutes later it got to the surface and came off the hook. Lol. He said it was the last time he used one of those for big fish. Maybe for a light SW rod but that's about it for me. Thanks though.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 10:49AM

Gabe......
Maybe you misunderstood? Detachable butt fishing rods are used all the time for huge fish. Some folks use different butt sections (one bent / one straight) so they can fish either chair or conventional trolling. I don't understand rod not bending or "bending at the reel seat". These are solid aluminum butt sections = the rod connects to the butt section with a metal ferrule that is screwed onto the butt - simply not possible for the rod to not bend - unless he never screwed it in - in which case when he pointed it down the rod (minus butt) would have gone in the drink.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster