I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro set up
Posted by: larry pilgrim (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 07:01PM

I got such good advice here before i want to get some more . I am building a st. croix 5C70MF casting rod . What do you all think of me using this set up fugi titanium # 8 #6, then finish it out with #4's will 8 # 4's be enough if i use the stress test method? double foot on #8 & #6 ??
I just went with a ring lock micro guide set from American tackle with the Nannolite rings on my jerkbait rod MHX SB812 .
but i want to get lighter with the st.croix , all components except the guides will be the same for both rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro set up
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:14PM

Larry,
Sounds good. Whether 8 #4s will be enough depends on the bend of the particular blank. You are speaking of 10 guides on a 7 foot rods, so I would think it would be about right.

Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:23PM

Be careful when you are considering Titanium micro guides. When we tested them the Titanium TLSG 3.5 guides were actually heavier than the regular LSG3.5’s. This isn’t that big of a surprise, the frames of these guides are so small that a very small difference in metal thickness would make a lot of difference, Fuji is stuck with buying material in standard gage sizes and it is very unlikely that SS and Ti are available in the exact same sizes. On larger guides which have a lot more metal in the frames the weight advantage of Ti really pays off, just not necessarily on these small guides.

There is a weight pecking order between microguides, I have weighed about every microguide available. The K series are by far the heaviest, they are fairly tall, have the twin legs, and are pretty beefy. Next are the American Tackle ring locks, ALPS micros, and Kigan. They are all about the same and are a good compromise of weight and strength, they are among my favorites. The BLAG 4 Alconites and Batson 3’s are next on the scale. I really like the Alconites, but the necks are a little flimsy and I have had some break off. The undisputed light weight king is the Fuji LSG 3.5, they are much smaller and lighter than any other readily available guide. I asked at the show for a version of that frame with an Alconite ring, that would be about perfect, getting the smallest and lightest guides without having to pay the extra cost for the SIC rings.

Of course the system you are proposing will work fine, but the #8 double foot guide you are proposing will probably weigh more than all the micro guides on the rod and is totally unnecessary.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:54PM

On mine I have an Alps 6 dbl foot followed by single 5,4,3 then finished with 2.5's.

Tom

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 05:37AM

mike good stuff! I would love to see your data. I have the issue here in fla of needing the titanium to against corosian. No comparisons with recoil micros?

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 05:38AM

mike good stuff! I would love to see your data. I have the issue here in fla of needing the titanium to against corosian. No comparisons with recoil micros?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 08:40AM

The primary disadvantages of the 3.5 Fuji LSG - No Tunnel, No Foot, No Neck and Wedge Shape. The design will not allow the Forhan lock to properly secure the guides against pull out. Pull test data pull test very low - in some cases less than 5 pounds. This compares to more than 25 pounds for the K series. For long throw rods using braid the LSG is one of the most effective. This guide isnow used with a secondary adhesive bond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 10:15AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 10:26AM

When I prep the TLSG3.5’s, I remove enough material (shorten foot) to get weight below .04 grams. I do not use Forhan locking wraps because I like being able to make final alignment of guides. I haven’t pulled out a guide yet, so until I do, I won’t fix the “problem”. I don’t know if I should admit to using less guides that convention dictates…..I’m not bothered with line touching the blank.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 11:43AM

I quit using Forhan wraps on 4mm and smaller. I do two blocking wraps and apply finish up to the ring. It's not coming out!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 12:01PM

Chuck please note brand and style of guide frames you do not use Forhan locks.

The guide problem I noted is not guides "coming" out but rather being "yanked" out by bassin bubbas.

Rolly Beenan made a post on this forum a long time ago that reported multiple pull outs of the micro -

It happens due to missuse - causes unnecessary warranty issues the guides pull out and the Forhan Locking wraps are not broken..

The size of the market and the number of rods in service by "bass" anglers would be of interest to a lot of people.

What size thread do you use for the wrap?

What finish are you using?

Jim what is the number of guides that "convention dictates" -.

The last ime we wre together one convention was 9 on a sever footer and another convention was 15 on a seven footer.

How many guides for what length are you using.

I have seen your rods and the "length" of the rods seems to defy convention.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.adams.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 01:02PM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful when you are considering Titanium micro
> guides. When we tested them the Titanium TLSG 3.5
> guides were actually heavier than the regular
> LSG3.5’s. This isn’t that big of a surprise,
> the frames of these guides are so small that a
> very small difference in metal thickness would
> make a lot of difference, Fuji is stuck with
> buying material in standard gage sizes and it is
> very unlikely that SS and Ti are available in the
> exact same sizes. On larger guides which have a
> lot more metal in the frames the weight advantage
> of Ti really pays off, just not necessarily on
> these small guides.

>
> There is a weight pecking order between
> microguides, I have weighed about every microguide
> available. The K series are by far the heaviest,
> they are fairly tall, have the twin legs, and are
> pretty beefy. Next are the American Tackle ring
> locks, ALPS micros, and Kigan. They are all about
> the same and are a good compromise of weight and
> strength, they are among my favorites. The BLAG 4
> Alconites and Batson 3’s are next on the scale.
> I really like the Alconites, but the necks are a
> little flimsy and I have had some break off. The
> undisputed light weight king is the Fuji LSG 3.5,
> they are much smaller and lighter than any other
> readily available guide. I asked at the show for
> a version of that frame with an Alconite ring,
> that would be about perfect, getting the smallest
> and lightest guides without having to pay the
> extra cost for the SIC rings.
>
> Of course the system you are proposing will work
> fine, but the #8 double foot guide you are
> proposing will probably weigh more than all the
> micro guides on the rod and is totally
> unnecessary.

Mike, where do Pac Bay Minnima4s fall on this list?

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 02:20PM

About the same as the AmTak ring locks, ALPS, and Kigan, slightly heavier than the BLAG4, and slightly lighter than the K series 4. Remember we are talking about slight differences between all of these, and lots of other factors are important in deciding which guide is best for your application. You see the big benefit when you replace old school guides with any of the lightweight alternatives, once you get down to the differences between each model they do exist but are much less noticeable.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 02:45PM

Mike,
If you don't mind - please itimize the "big benefit" that you personally find with the use of the guides of which you speak?

Also, please itimize the - "downside" of using these guides of which you speak.

Thanks much
Roger

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 03:26PM

Bill,
The popular consensus of “convention” (rule-of-thumb) regarding number of guides seems to be one guide per foot, plus one, plus the tip top. Many consider this to be the minimum. Most of my casting rods are less than 6’ and I usually have a total of 7 guides (6 + wrapped-on single foot)….all on top. The line does fall below the blank when the rods are heavily loaded and I’ve never experienced any negative affects (broken rods, worn line, worn blank finish, friction). The so called “purse string effect” is no different than guides on bottom. Torque is almost non-existent with micros. There may be something to be said for line control, but by adding guides, you quickly reach a point of diminishing return….. especially considering the weight penalties (however slight) toward the rod tip.
On my spinning rods, I will usually add one more guide because they tend to be lighter powered with more flex.
Anyway, although it may be a “don’t try this at home” thing..…it works for me (Ha).

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 04:01PM

I thought I'd chime in regarding Mr. Mills' statement about Forhan wraps. When testing our new size 04 FX frames I wrapped samples with and without a Forhan using size A thread. The difference in pullout strength was always within a couple of pounds and was always in favor of the Forhan wrapped guides. On our guides the difference a Forhan made could be considered very minimal.
The greatest factor in increasing pull out strength was by far the anchoring created between the new guide foot and finish. Ensuring finish penetration of thread and any voids created by the wider foot (even wider than the rod tip in some cases) as well as creating a small area of blocking finish in front of the wider guide neck is key. Control tests were also performed on standard narrow footed guides to ensure the large increases in pull-out strength were a result of the new foot working in conjunction with the finish.

PS Full specs on the FX can be viewed via the link on the front page of our website.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster