I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seats Wood vs. Alu.
Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (204.60.124.---)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:16PM

Any disadvantage in using a wood insert vs. an alunimum reel seat on larger fly rods say from 9ft 6 weights on up ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seats Wood vs. Alu.
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:32PM

Andy,
I use'em all the time on 9's and 10's...no problems at all.

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
www.lamarreelseats.com

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit20rh16rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 21, 2003 04:44PM

I only had one problem on an 8wt. The rosewood Pac Bay insert sheared in half along the neutral axis You've heard the CRACK of mono snapping before, well this puppy let out a good yelp itself. I thought I blew up the blank and it took me a while to find out exactly what took place. So from then on, I oriented the grain of wood inserts 90 degrees from where that insert failed, so straightest grain was on the top and bottom of the rod instead of the right and left side of the rod which aligned itself with shearing forces that are applied when the rod naturally flexes downward 90 degrees.

This is much the same as when you look to purchase a good shovel, besides the metal head itself the orientation of the straight grain of the handle, should be of paramount concern, the grain should, first and foremost be straight, and on top side, running straight down the handel length, if it veres off to one side or another, this is a potential weak spot. The straight grain should never be oriented to run down the each side of the handle as this aligns with the neutral axis and smaller forces are necessary to easily shear the handle apart along this natuarlly occuring weaker grain line.

Posted by: Traci Hutt (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 21, 2003 05:43PM

Hi Chris,

It is very important to us at Pacific Bay that our customers can be as confident in buying and using our blanks and components as we are in selling them. Please know that if you ever have a problem with one of our products you can call us and we will always do our best to make it right by you.

I hope you will contact me either by phone 1-800-447-0089 or via email with you mailing address as I would really like to send a replacement out to you.

Thank you for buying Pacific Bay products, we appreciate your business!

Traci Hutt
Customer Service Manager
Pacific Bay International

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2003 08:52PM

This is interesting. I've always aligned the grain on my wood seats to run down the top just as say. It just seemed like it could pop or split if I ran it the other way and really got a rod to flex deep into the butt.

I've always wondered if you really could split an insert by orienting the grain to the sides. I guess you just answered a question I've wondered about for 10 years!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit19rh15rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:58PM

Traci:

I did return the insert to Pac Bay and it was promptly replaced.
Thank you, for your consideration at this time.
Exemplary work, keep it up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster