I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Wire guides on heavier fly rod
Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:04PM

I have an 8wt under construction that will be used in Alaska fishing for Cohos. I had originally planned to use regular double foot fly wire fly guides, but I liked the way single foots turned out on a 5 wt.. recently.

After some reading past posts here, it looked like single foot wire guides might do the trick on the heavier rod, and since I have a set in hand, I was thinking about using them. Anybody see any problems with the single foots pulling out or being prone to damage? By the way, these are single foot wire, size 3. The blank is an Utmost closeout of uncertain parentage-fast action, intermediate modulus, looks nice cosmetically(matte).

The current rod under construction is for one of my fishing partners who is not a fly fisherman (yet). Mainly looking to try something I've not done before and not spend much cash either, though I am willing to buy another set of guides if advisable.

Appreciate you guy's help.

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Wire guides on heavier fly rod
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.75.24.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 06:09PM

Drew,
I've a personal 8' 8 weight with single foot guides and light wire titanium for the top 3 guides.
Casting is excellent with the light lively tip. Both distance and accuracy are very good.
This rod is used for windy conditions on trout streams with light tippets.( 6x and lighter )
If you want to use heavy tippets I see no problem with single foots for the tip of the rod.
I may be overly conservative but, I'd feel more comfortable with double foots in the middle and butt of the rod due to the additional stresses from the higher loads.
If you choose to use singles for the entire rod It should cast very easily and you can judge the durability under your fishing conditions.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2011 06:50PM

Use Forhan locking wraps on those single foot guides and you'll never have any trouble with guides pulling out.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 07:11PM

I used single foot wires on my last three 8wt. saltwater rods. They're working out just great. Although I do use the Forhan locking wraps for insurance, I don't think any would pull out if wrapped properly and ensure you "push" the epoxy in the "tunnel" when finishing. I'm not planning on going back to doubles.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 07:20PM

I've tried to pull some single foot guides (no thread locks) out of an old build with some pliers. You gotta twist, turn, pull then twist turn and pull harder to get them out. The only way you MIGHT get one pulled out is if your line wrapped around one with an extremely large game fish on like a tarpon running full boar. I dont even thinka big salmon could do it. Youre rod would break first if it was anywhere past the half way point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 07:21PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:06PM

Great. Thanks for the replies. Definitely planning the Forhan locking wraps. I have used those on every rod after the first one I did.

My main concern was the guides pulling out since the feet are thin and there isn't much to hold them.

Drew

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:47PM

No prob with the s/f guides. I use them on all of my rods - 9' 11wts, 12' #10, etc.
If you use REC s/f recoils make sure you get the heavy wire model. I would use #3 running guides - #4 if you might overline to a #9 or #10 line.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 10:49PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:17AM

drew have you run any common cents measurements on that blank. i purchased a 9' 8wt 4 piece matte blank out of the same closeout and it has an ERN of 10.5. Was kind of bummed as i have no use for a rod that heavy. Oh well ill throw it under the bench. you never know when a need may arise.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:38AM

I did not measure the ERN but it does feel stout.

Did yours come with each female ferrule wrapped with tape and a hand printed label?

Drew

Posted by: Garry Hall (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 08:03AM

With the Forhan locking wraps pull out should not be an issue.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-169.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2011 05:23AM

I have a 11 at I am wrapping for a customer now. It will be built with single foot recoil "X" loop guides. I fished a simaler rod on the menus river in alaska three years in a row. I learned the fishing technique used up there is "flossing". So if that is what your doing build with that in mind. Casting is not importent as the fish run right up the bank. A very very fast tip with a lot of upper end back bone for that hook set is. Any questions email me I am quit experienced in fishing alaska. billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster