I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting cork?
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:05PM

I'm making split grip spinning rods and have to cut my foregrip cork as part of the process. I tape the cork off with painter's tape then use a cork saw to make the cut, scoring a little at a time as I rotate the cork. My last time through did not go so well. The cut was a little uneven and when I slid the cork up against the reel seat there was a very small gap in one location. Running the cork in a figure 8 over sandpaper did not seem to help any. My question is two fold, what method do you use with your cork to make a straight cut and does it make more sense to buy a cork jig to insure a straight cut? Thanks very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting cork?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:59PM

If you have a drill you can get a scrap blank that fits the drill and also the cork fits on. Even if you have to build up with tape. While it turns support the open end and then cut with the saw. Straighter cut

Or use a lath

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 04:59PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 07:42PM

I usa a cork jig i bought at one of the shows. Cuts a perfect ring every time and can also do checkerboard cuts

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 08:03PM

Try this method, 1. Take a piece of paper and wrap it around the cork 2. align the paper (factory edge) where you want to make the cut, the paper should make a "perfect" line around the cork. 3. tape the paper in place. 4. Mark the line around the paper's edge. (I use a pencil) 5. Remove paper and inspect your line. 6. Cut. I have a "cork slicing jig" as one poster had mentioned but mine does not allow the cork to pass through so you can cut it anywhere along the length. I learned this "trick" from cutting PVC pipe. Try it on a piece of scrap first. Let me know how it works for you.

Sent From R.J. Steiner's iPhone. (While I'm on the Crapper)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:56PM

Take a piece of 2x4 and using a 1 1/4" Forstner bit, drill numerous holes to the various depths corresponding to thicknesses that you want for rings. Pick a hole the depth you want, stick the ring in and slice it off. Hand saw or band saw. Just curious, what is a "cork saw"??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:20PM

I have been overly impressed with a set of slicer/checkboard jigs I purchased off 'an @#$%& site that shall remain nameless'. They have been well worth the money for me. I think the maker of these jigs roams this board (or I have seen them in the photo directory)

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 12:22PM by Andy Dochterman.

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.dynamic.dsl.skybest.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:50PM

If your talking about cutting a handle as appose to an individual ring, I just use a compound miter saw with a really fine blade used for finish work.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 01:15PM

Mike -
I think the 'cork saw' is, in fact, a jewelery saw (as is sold on MudHole). Very, very fine blade & work well for cutting rings, checkerboards etc.

Date: March 13, 2011 04:55PM

Ken,

I still can't believe anyone can use those. When I tried them, it took a dozen blades to cut 1 ring. This is the best thing that I have found [www3.towerhobbies.com] kerf is .010 and is thye only thing thin enough to fit the round checkerboard jig

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 05:19PM

I have no idea what the big deal is If a builder makes a handle and it does not fit completely on the seat

mark the high spot and with a sanding block with 100 grit on it - block sand -- check often and make it fit ??

I do it all the time

If making 1/4" rings cut them on a lath or a drill or even a jig with washers under it for the size you need

And people say I just want to hear myself talk ??? Doooo

If you are trying to level rings - lay them on a flat surface - find the bad or hight section - Block sand it to become level

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 05:31PM

Mike i use those jewlery saws and the blades i think size 11. I usually go through 2-3 each cut. The good thing they are dirt cheap. I have not tried the razor saw but may after your post.
thanks

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Dick Howard (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 05:34PM

A nice saw for cork work is a Stanley 20-331.

Date: March 13, 2011 06:51PM

Paul,

That is the ONLY model that will fit the slots in the round checker jig When slicing rings, it doesn't quite go all the way through so you have to rotate the ring to finish the cut. I have been using the sane saw for years and it's great

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster