I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jet Lathe Question
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:46AM

I'm finally ready to step up from an old craftsman lathe to a new Jet 10x14VS and am wondering if the recommended Jet stand will work with a bed extension. Also need suggestions for a good chuck that won't break the bank. Thanks for all replies.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jet Lathe Question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 06, 2011 10:12AM

You won't need an extension if you will move up to the Jet 1220. It isn't much more money at all and you will get a stronger motor as well. In respect to the chuck ... you get what you pay for IMO. Nova offers the G3 which is a good choice for midi-lathes AND it will last a lifetime.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 01:15PM

the answer is yes....i have mine on the stand...i can't remember if it came with the extension for the stand to allow for the extension bed or that was extra....I do other things than rodbuilding and need the bed extension...the barracuda line of chucks from Penn State Ind are very nice and great value for the money...I use one most of the time....the nova and others are very fine chucks, but each set of jaws is purchased separately so the cost rises quickly...

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 03:22PM

Bigger lathe or extension is a must. A 12" lathe once you subtract chuck and live center takeup will mean you can't do longer grips. I have an Excelsior(Rockler house brand) with bed extension. Next to the old Clemens rod lathe I found for a song, the best tool buy I've made for the craft.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 06, 2011 07:53PM

I purchased the Rikon from Woodcraft on sale for $250.00. A month later they ran the Nova G3 on sale for $ 150.00 and this included 4 extra jaws of different types. I watch their site frequently and they have some good sales on lathes. BTW, this price also included the postage.

Good luck in your search,

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Mike Campbell (24.31.255.---)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:40PM

I would suggest the jet 1220 or Delta 46-460. I have a old craftsman 12", 36" bed, and when I got a used Jet 1014, I was running out of room to turn larger grips. I had to go back to the craftsman. I hav since bought the Delta, and this machine is a dream. I use the Nova line of chucks, and if you watch woodcraft for a while, they have great deals on them every couple of months. Like Pat said, I also got the G3 with 4 sets of jaws for $150, and I got the Midi for $79.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster