I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken tip section repair.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 01:03PM

Okay, I've read the rod repair tutorial in the library. Here's what I've got:
A Shiamno Cumara rod has been brought to me for repair. It's suppose to be 6'8". The tip is broken off and is now 6'2". He didn't keep the piece that broke off. I have a 6" section of graphite that I can cut to match at the break point, but the wall thickness of my section is greater than the original. ODs of the rod and section match perfectly, but, on the ID I can barely get the 4.0 peg on my tip sizer in the Cumara, but I can't get the 3.5 peg in the mating end of the section I'm using, close but no cookie. Obviously a different wall thickness. Now I'm not talking about the oversleeve here but rather the section that I will add. I have some fiberglass pieces that I'll use as an oversleeve per the instructions in the library.
Will the different wall thicknesses of the rod and the repair section cause a problem when the rod gets put under a load? Or, am I varying too much from the original properties of the rod. I've had success with repairing tips before but I always had the original part that was broken off to add back. Never added a piece from something else.
Another alternative that I CAN do, is to add a 6" piece of fiberglas section. But what would I oversleeve with then? I've never done it that way before. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken tip section repair.
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2011 02:37PM

Well if your replacement tip piece is the same modulus then with the thicker wall, if you think about it, when under load that new tip section will want to remain straight while beyond the splice it will want to start bending. However it is probably better than adding a soft tip section on a stiffer rod causing a definite shear point at the splice. I believe Ralph in his tutorial used glass in the splice to not have a stiff section on the rod that the graphite would give you. IMHO

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 03:23PM

Shimano Cumaras have a lifetime warranty - it might be better for you to suggest to the customer to submit the rod for warranty replacement than for you to get into a messy repair like this.

If he wants to go ahead with the repair I'd make it clear that without the original tip that this is at his own risk and that the repair may not hold.

Dan

Posted by: Bob Pratt (12.189.32.---)
Date: March 05, 2011 04:15PM

Dan Ertz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shimano Cumaras have a lifetime warranty - it
> might be better for you to suggest to the customer
> to submit the rod for warranty replacement than
> for you to get into a messy repair like this.
>
> If he wants to go ahead with the repair I'd make
> it clear that without the original tip that this
> is at his own risk and that the repair may not
> hold.
>
> Dan

And the warranty is probably toast!!
Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 04:54PM

Greg,
Pick up a few broken or scrap rods from the bait stores or the good will stores.

Then, go through the blanks until you can find a section of tip that will match the size and wall thickness of the original blank.

It normally is not difficult to do, if you can go through a few different rods.

The problem is, that if you use a section that is a lot different than the original blank, the rod will really lose much of its excellent function.

So much of a rods touch and fish catching ability - especially for lighter action rods, is in the last 6 inches of rod.

Whenever I do a rod repair, I do both an inner sleeve, as well as an outer sleeve.
If the inner size is quite small I will typically use piano wire for the inner sleeve. The piano wire does a nice job of matching the tip flex, and it keeps the sections from crushing. Then, I do an outer sleeve using matching wall thickness material.

I have repaired lots of rod sections, when I find a section of blank that matches both sides of the repair. I will cut off 4 or 5 inches, and then I will chuck the piece of graphite into a drill and use it to thin the wall thickness of the material.
I simply hold the spinning graphite tube against a spinning 1 inch belt sander with about a 150 grit on the sander. This will quickly thin the graphite to make for a cleaner and better matching outersleeve. With a decent inner sleever, there really doesn't need to be a lot of thick wall sleepving on the outer sleeve, unless you are working with a very heavy duty rod. Just try to match the wall thickness to the existing blank.

Roger

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 04:55PM

I had a Shimano that I broke the tip on while carring it to the beach one morning. I package the rod up and a littlel not stating that I was not sure how the tip boke and they sent me a new rod. I paid for the shipping back to the factory and they sent the rod at no charge. I believe in Shimano. P.S. It took UPSa full week to transport the rod from the east coast to CA and only 3 days for Shimano to return the new rod.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 01:12PM

Wow, that's a good warranty.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster