I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help on how to build a slip clutch
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: March 05, 2011 12:45PM

If possible, i would like to build a slip clutch for a sewing machine motor etc. that I have coming from okie rodbuilding. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help on how to build a slip clutch
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2011 01:37PM

It might be easier to buy the Flex Coat clutch and adapt it to the Okie machine. I don't think it would be hard to do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 05:02PM

Jeremy,
It is easy to purchase the Flex Coat clutch, or you can do an even simpler thing.
i.e. simply buy a foot pedal switch, or just pick up a little box, and mount a push on switch to mount it in the box. That way, you simply press the foot pedal to turn on the motor, and press again to turn off the motor. All that you want to do, is to stop the motor temporarily while you are applying coating I imagine.

----------
If you are talking about doing this for rod coating, and if you already own a power wrapper, just use your power wrapper to coat your guides.

Just put down strips of cardboard on your wrapper, in between the steady rests to keep epoxy drips off of your wrapper.

I use my wrapper all of the time to apply finish. It works very very well. Instant speed, stop, start control with the foot pedal.
After the finish has been applied, and leveled, I will transfer the coated rod to my dryer.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
By the way, it is very easy to have a slip clutch for your sewing machine motor. Just go to a good will or similar and buy an old sewing machine for $5, that has a twist to tighten clutch on the end of the motor shaft. Many many different brands of sewing machines have such a clutch mechanism. The reason that the machines had these clutches, is that the one using the sewing machine would loosen the clutch, before filling a sewing bobbin. The one using the sewing machine would mount the bobbin on the bobbin filler, and the spinning head of the clutch would be in contact with the bobbin shaft and fill the bobbin. But the loose clutch, would keep the rest of the sewing machine mechanism from turning.

If you need one, I may have an extra one that I could sell for a reasonable price.

I also have such a shaft and clutch mounted on a head stock that I used at one time for wrapping. I no longer use that head stock for wrapping, so I might be willing to sell that one as well.

hflier@comcast.net
Roger

Date: March 05, 2011 05:16PM

This was the sort of slip clutch that I was talking about when I suggested that you go to a good will and pick up a junk sewing machine for the clutch:

[www.sewingpartsonline.com]

Roger

Date: March 06, 2011 12:09PM

I was just thinking about your original request on how to make a slip clutch.

Lets say that you have a 1/4 inch coupler on the end of a motor to mount your chuck.

Insert a continuous 1/4 inch bolt into the threaded coupler on the chuck side of the coupler.

Place a nylon locking nut on the threaded bolt, then a spring that just fits over the shaft of a length that you need to determine. Then place a washer over the spring. Now place your chuck on the threaded shaft next to the washer. Put another washer on the inside of the chuck. Finally place a nylon locking nut on the inside of the chuck to hold it secure.

Your slip clutch is complete. Just adjust the locking nut that is on the outside of the chuck to give the desired slip pressure for the chuck to slip or turn and you are good to go.

Essentially, all that the slip cluts is - is a threaded rod with a pair of lock nuts and a spring and a pair of wathers between the nuts. Then the face of the chuck is captured between the nuts. If you can isnure that the inner and outer face of the chuck is flat and smooth, you will have smoother operation on the slip chuck.

I have made dryer chucks from the PVC pipe caps. If you use a flat topped PVC cap rather than a rounded PVC cap, the inner and outer faces will be pretty flat and parallel and will make a nice smooth cluctch.

Roger

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 10:33PM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Wilson. Sounds like it'll be pretty easy to make.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster