I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burnishing & Fuzzies
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 07:18PM

Is it possible to burnish thread wraps so roughly that it causes fuzzies? Can they be so fine so as not to be seen in less than optimal light conditions in which I work? I burnished some wraps with a steel pair of tweezers and I'm wondering if that's the problem. Maybe I caused them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burnishing & Fuzzies
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 07:50PM

Bruce,
This is certainly possible.

Just to verify the problem, take a scrap blank, use the same thread and lay out a piece of wrap - good and tight.

Use a strong light, and a magnifier, and check for fuzzies.

Then, use gentle burnishing, and check again.

Finally use the same thing that you used on the rod in question to see if you raise the fuzzies.

If, at any time you see the fuzzies raised, you know the issue.

It is possible that you simply have a bad spool of thread. It happens very seldom, but when it happens, it is likely that the entire spool will be bad.

If you do find a bad spool, don't fool around - throw it into the garbage, so that there is no possibility that the thread will be used on another build.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 08:36PM

If the tweezers have corners or edges that may be the cause. Most good burnishers are rounded without any edges. A rounded item unless the surface is rough should not cause "fuzzies."

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:21PM

The one thing I have done for years Bruce is run a low torch flame over the wraps as it spins. This has worked well for me over the years. Just an FYI for you if you want to give it a try.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:35PM

The suggestions above are great, May I add one, I dampen my thread with distiled water then pack and the lightlythis should flatten the thread, burnish in one direction toward the ring

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 08:01AM

Bob,
Doesn't the thread finish just raise the fuzz again. Sounds great if it works.
I look for fuzz with a 7 diopter (2.7 mag - I think) head magnifier. I put a white paper under the wrap as I rotate VERY slowly looking for fuzzies. Then I briefly touch with the side of a butane lighter flame. Gets the big ones to a low nub but doesn't eliminate entirely. Generally it gets low enough to be covered by the finish though.
Will try the water thing. I assume it should dry 24hr before finishing. Does it ever leave the wrap mottled?? I only use dark colors - black, cobalt blue, dark green because no CP and I use dark blanks.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 09:03AM

After your first coat of finish when dry I hit any with 400 wet dry sandpaper. Lightly The second coat usually covers well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2011 09:36AM

Speaking of fuzzies, has anyone had trouble with Madiera? I have been having what seems to be more than normal amount of fuzzies with this brand.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 10:00AM

Thanks for the replies. One thing I have to do is install better lighting. The thread I am using is Fishhawk Variegated burgundy. It looks great.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 10:29AM

I use a fly tying magnifier lamp with one of those new light bulbs Works well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 10:39AM

My old eyes require that I use an Ott Light and the "headband" binocular 7diopter magnifier to all phases of the work - wrapping, guide prep and even finishing.
Herb

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 12:33PM

I fought the fuzzies a long time and discovered that the wire on the Pac Bay wrapper tensioner spring hook that allows you to back up a little had worn to the point that it was fuzzing the thread. It actually had a goove in it similar to what you normally see on the SS304 tips when someone has been using braid. So, check your tensioner if you have one. Also, those little ceramic thread guides can get a small crack in em if something gets dropped on em. I've replaced mine with Hardloy guides. However, if this is your situation, and you use a magnifier while wrapping, you'll see this coming off the spool during the wrapping process.

Date: March 05, 2011 02:43PM

First fuzzies will not occur by doing this, I always do a flame touch up using a alcohol lamp, most of the time the fuzz is in the thread, always use a smooth flat ,no sharp edged tool when burnishing

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 05, 2011 02:57PM

David when using that thread use as little tension as possible, NO had burnishing, alway check the thread pass threw eyes for burrs

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 05, 2011 04:33PM

I always use a magnification on wraps to check for gaps and over wraps

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 05:11PM

I agree with Greg.
I recently replaced the thread guides on my tensioner with some inexpensive hardalloy guides for the same reason.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Harding (---.emkc.com)
Date: March 07, 2011 02:14PM

Bruce,

Had a thread going about 2 weeks ago on a similar issue. I was convinced that I was wrapping too tight - until I bought a new spool of thread. The original spool of Fishhawk nylon was bad, new spool of Gudebrod was fine.

Steve

Date: March 07, 2011 04:37PM

Bob, thanks for the info on wrapping tension with Madeira. I thought I had bad thread also, but found that all of my Madeira does this. The problem was in fact the tension. I backed off a little and did a long run with no more problems. Thanks.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 07, 2011 04:59PM

Hey any time, Any time I change thread companies I always do a tension test. Also when I go to craft stores for thread. I always carry a medium magnifying glass and check thread for frezzies and stains

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 07, 2011 05:35PM

Good idea.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster