I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Change the direction of motor-Pac Bay wrapper W/ upgraded chuck.
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 09:08PM

Hi everybody.
I just got my first power wrapper. It is the Pac Bay with the upgraded chuck. I finally pieced it together and tried wrapping. After wrapping by hand for a while i have been spinning the blank clockwise. I stepped on the footpedal and it turned counter clockwise.
I would really want to know if i can change the direction of the chuck. Without moving the unit of course. Should i just move the entire unit around. My table might not be suitable for this. HELP!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change the direction of motor-Pac Bay wrapper W/ upgraded chuck.
Posted by: Bob Pratt (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 10:13PM

Gabe do a search I know it's just a matter reversing two wires. I believe it was discussed a short time ago, less than 6 months.
Bob

Date: March 03, 2011 10:14PM

I did but i couldn't find something anything. ill try some other words.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:38PM

I did mine. I think I have the directions somewhere. More than just two wires. Will check later.

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:54PM

I had the same problem. I made a mounting plate of aluminum and turned the motor around so it faces the opposite direction. Works great

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 12:50AM

Gabe,
To reverse the motor electrically, you need to take the motor apart, and swap the two wires going to the brushes.

Depending on the motor, this may be an easy job or a next to impossible job - depending on the internal layout of the motor and the wiring connections to the brushes.

Another option - if you don't want to tear into the motor, is to replace the motor with one that runs in the opposite direction. i.e. instead of clock wise - get a counter cloclwise motor.
[www.grainger.com]

Dayton also makes a motor that has the 4 - leads brought of the motor, so that you can reverse the motor with a switch. Unfortunately, the only version that dayton builds in this configuration is with the motor that is in the casting set up ffor the gear drive unit.
I don't believe that they make it in the common style side mount motor that is used on the wrappers.

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 01:24AM by roger wilson.

Date: March 04, 2011 01:50AM

Here is a picture of the wiring changes required that was posted some time ago - in the picture section:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you don't want to make the motor reverse direction at the flip of a switch, simply swap the wires and leave the switch out of the changes.

Roger

Posted by: Rick Vohden (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 06:13AM

take the belt off of the motor pulley, twist it 180 degrees, and reinstall. want the belt to look like a figure 8 around the pulleys instead of a loop. it will change the direction of the chuck.

Date: March 04, 2011 11:24AM

Of course the simplest thing to do, is to simply reverse the orientation of the wrapper. Then, as far as you, the wrapper is concerned, the wrapper will be going the opposite direction.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 12:23PM

You do understand that doing a figure 8 is not recommended, it is hard on the belt and puts undo stress on pullies and shafts. I you do it look and getting a larger belt

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 04, 2011 12:50PM

Also,
As one of the other posters suggested, you can simply flip the motor from end to end, with a newly made monting bracket for the motor and it will do the same thing.

Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 02:03PM

Gabe, Years ago I burnt up a motor on a Rod Smith (Pac-Bay) turning cork. I ordered a motor from Grainger as a replacement but chose the wrong turning direction by a mix up in item number. What I got was a counter clockwise directional motor. That motor # is:Dayton 2M034A HP 1/15 RPM 5000 VOLTS 115. I then called PAC-BAY and got the correct motor. It will mount the same as the motor you have now.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 02:05PM

you can just turn the whole thing around. Then you can move or put the thread carriage slide to the front side of the re-oriented wrapper. Simplest way of doing it.
~Jeff~

Date: March 04, 2011 02:06PM

Gabe, Years ago I burnt up a motor on a Rod Smith (Pac-Bay) turning cork. I ordered a motor from Grainger as a replacement but chose the wrong turning direction by a mix up in item number. What I got was a counter clockwise directional motor. That motor # is:Dayton 2M034A HP 1/15 RPM 5000 VOLTS 115. I then called PAC-BAY and got the correct motor. It will mount the same as the motor you have now.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 04, 2011 02:11PM

sorry about the double post.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 04, 2011 02:15PM

Gabe, How's half price sound plus postage?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 04, 2011 02:34PM

Gabe,
For the very reasons that you highlight - i.e. motor direction is one of the main reasons that I designed a wrapper using a DC gear motor.
The DC style motor gets rid of the motor direction problem. Reverse the motor leads and the motor changes direction.

The Gear part of the motor gets rid of all of the various pulleys and belts that come with the typical power wrapper. The gear motor is also much smaller than the typical ac motor - not that that makes any difference at all.

But, that is always another option - i.e. go to a dc motor with a variable dc power supply.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 04, 2011 02:40PM

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE ANSWERS. I GOT A TAD LAZY AND JUST PICKED UP THE ENTIRE THING AND TURNED IT AROUND! NOT WHAT I WAS ASKING, BUT I DONT WANT TO MESS UP THE MOTOR!

Tight Wraps!
Gabe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster