I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bill Stevens and my 1st micro build
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:40AM

This incident took place last week as Bill was preparing to go to the expo.

I purchased some micro guides and tops from Swampland over a year ago and finally decided to make that first build. I had a question about how to run my guides so I sent Bill Stevens an email about it. About 2 nano seconds after I hit send, I knew that I didn't give Bill enough information and sure enough, he replied with about 8 questions and his cell number. I answered his questions and provided my number and Bill called me that evening. He was very patient with me and he was asking what kind of guides I was using. I told him they were purchased from Swampland a while back and he asked about the tip top specifically. Bill didn't like the tip top I was using and asked me where I lived and if I was coming to the expo. I told him South of Atlanta, and could not make it to the expo this year. He immediately asked how far from I85? I am only 5 minutes from I85 so Bill offered to stop by and see me on his way to the expo. I told him it wasn't that important and he said yes it was, he didn't want me using the tip top that I had planned on. So, we made plans to meet at a convenient exit for Bill and sure enough the plan worked out. As if this wasn't enough, he wouldn't take a nickel for the tip top, and he took time to show me a couple rods he had in his truck. We shook hands and I offered some venison sausage for the ride? Bill gladly accepted and off he went.

This is an example of the type of people that got me into this habit, I mean hobby, and the people that offer help all the time. I am sure there are plenty of builders that would help somebody out, but I just wanted to talk about Bill for a minute and thank him again for helping me on this build and several in the past.

Thanks again Bill Stevens, I look forward to seeing you again.

Steve Chontos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Stevens and my 1st micro build
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:21PM

You bet Bill is a great guy and goes far beyond the extra mile to keep his customers happy. He has helped me out several times. We all could use another Bill Stevens in our life

During the Expo everyone that went to the Swampland booth had to talk to him. I made several special trips and he was always busy with people lined up. My turn came Sunday morning just before it was time for me to leave.

Most men half his age would have trouble keeping up.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:26PM

Nice going Bill Really going out of the way to help - Cool

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 03, 2011 01:25PM

Steve,

You are not alone. I had a request for a particular blank and out of the pure generosity of his heart Bill gladly donated the rod of his own free will for the event I was donating it to!! Unfortunately, I missed Bill at the show to reciprocate his generosity so the mail man is going to have to be the one to deliver it to him.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 07:20PM

Well this is the first I hear about the venison. Not even a scrap piece made it my way.

Lance

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 08:03PM

Swampland Tackle Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this is the first I hear about the venison.
> Not even a scrap piece made it my way.

Now that's just plain wrong! I'll bring you some cracklins and boudin if I head your way this weekend.

Lane

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:29AM

I wish I had half his energy and half his knowledge . I have learned a lot about Micro builds from Bill Stevens. He is always eager to help out with any problems or questions one might have. I got the opportunity to talk to him a couple of times at the Show.

Bill Eshelman; If you had spent less time with those 6 cups of coffee, you could have talked to him more.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster