I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First casting mini build-request opinons
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:09AM

I am planning a 6' 8" casting rod using minis, all on top, for 12-17 # mono/fleuro, and plan to use a first guide a 6, then 4 mini, then 3 minis to the tip. What is your opinion of this plan? (Shimano Curado low profile reel). Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First casting mini build-request opinons
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:20AM

Should work fine.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:21AM

For what I have done when doing an 8 foot crankbait rod and some redoing of past rods with the micros, I would say forget the 6 and 4 and go with all 3's. That 8 foot crankbait rod casts like a dream and I have used it with mono or braid. The only thing I have found when using all micros, and seems to get a better line flow off the reel, place the first guide from the reel a bit farther than you might have on other rods. A couple of inches further seems to smooth out the line flow between the reel and the first guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 11:23AM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 11:53AM

I think Mike is right on. Actually, the "first" guide is on the reel. Take a look at how small it is. No need in having anything larger than it is.
Bill

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:17PM

Mike - it's because of your line path - watch the angle your line takes out of the reel and down the rod. You'll see it.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 12:36PM

that'll work just fine. now get after it.

Date: March 04, 2011 07:10AM

thanks for the insight, fellows, much appreciated. There are posts that indicate that a slightly larger 1st guide does affect casting distance. I'll start this way and test cast to make sure I've not missed an opportunity. Any new posts or ideas are welcome, I have plenty of time.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 01:29PM

With that 8 foot crankbait rod I made, I was doing it for a demo on micro guides. The original reel I was planning on using for test casting did not hold enough line on it. I spooled that reel ever time. So for me, using all micro guides did not effect casting distance, but since it controlled the line flow better from the reel to the first guide, I think it helped with casting distance.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 06:29PM

"There are posts that indicate that a slightly larger 1st guide does affect casting distance.:

Those post are correct, and the effect it has; is longer casting distance then using all Micros.

Date: March 06, 2011 10:15AM

Steve, glad you chimed in. Is my plan sound, in your opinion?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster