I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First impressions about new epoxy/Aqua Shield
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 07:50PM

Well, back from an excellent expo with many inspirations and great memories.
Thanks again Tom and all the vendors.

So i got some of that experimental water based Perma Gloss and have used it on 2 rods i had to put new guides on today.
For what its worth here are my early impressions: its more like working with flex coat color preserve than PG!
Looks like CP (milky), flows like CP(gets into the tunnels and threads very easily), dries in about the same time given that its rainy today (PG acts funky in the rain) and has many of the same working characteristics as CP.
Many thin coats seem to dry quicker than a few thick ones else you can get a milkiness for a while. Low heat helps dry it but you can get it too hot too(can boil it). You only get bubbles if you really thrash away at it with a stiff brush(or get it hot enough to boil!), soft brush its a joy.
NO SMELL!!!
Cleanup with water.
Does not dry like a CP though, dries more like PG, sticks well to the blank, not flaky like CP can be.
You need about 5 coats to get a nice finish. Not the same finish as epoxy, but I really like it, but then i also like regular PG, just hate the fumes of PG.
Obviously no idea about durability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First impressions about new epoxy/Aqua Shield
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2011 08:29PM

I talked to Ralph about this a little more today. He is experimenting with thickening the product so you can get the epoxy look in about 3 coats. It's getting closer.

I also learned that it is going to be 2 points harder on the Rockwell scale than PG, which is about 20 points harder than epoxy.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 08:57PM

I want some. When will it be available? Does it remain slightly flexible, or is it rock hard?

Before anyone says I should have been in High Point, I wish I could have. Maybe next year.

Drew
Sacramento, CA (a long way from High Point!)

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:01PM

Good news on the hardness Tom. The down side to that being when it comes time to replace the guides!
I wish i was 10% as inventive and creative as Ralph is.

Date: February 28, 2011 09:10PM

It's hard yet extremely flexible. Ralph and I conferred on it for quite some time today and applied it in various applications beyond thread wraps. He's ahead of the curve on this technology but is not yet sure what overall viscosity he wants to offer. My thought is that if a guy can get the same appearance as epoxy in 3 coats or less, with a water based product, easy clean up, lower cost, 1-part, etc., he's apt to switch from epoxy. Otherwise, it's just a replacement for PermaGloss.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:43PM

Well put Mr. Kirkman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:03AM

Will this new stuff make a good blank over paint coating ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 01, 2011 09:52AM

Yes. We applied it to some carbon fiber grips yesterday and it works just about as well as PG for that. Ralph says it will be even better as a blank coating as you have just a bit more working time before it'll set and grab.

There lies the decision - make it thin for coating blanks, inserts and handles, or make it thicker for use on guide wrap threads. I offered a solution. We'll see what happens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:58AM

Just a thought buy why not make it thicker - but - with the ability to thin for a blank coating

Best of both worlds ?? Written on the container of what to use to thin if necessary

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 10:16AM

I gave Ralph a bead wrap that Lana did at the show to try out. He was very patient and considerate (classic Ralph) and I think we both learned a lot about using Aqua Seal. As a replacement for PermaGloss (which will likely be discontinued) it is good as it is. For those wishing a "high build" epoxy-like finish as it is currently it will require many coats to achieve. Probably the best solution (assuming cost can be controlled) would be two product lines (one heavy and one light just like other epoxy finishes). My understanding is that the targeted release date is now June.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:03AM

This is exactly what I mentioned to Ralph - two products, one a little thinner, and one a little thicker. That would cover everything from a blanks, wood, handles, etc., and thread.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 11:59AM

Tom K wrote:......My thought is that if a guy can get the same appearance as epoxy in 3 coats or less, with a water based product, easy clean up, lower cost, 1-part, etc., he's apt to switch from epoxy.....

I'd be on-board with that, for sure

Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:47PM

I'd be on board too

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 01, 2011 03:11PM

this may be an apples and oranges ? How does this compare to gudebrod 1 part finish?

Date: March 01, 2011 03:21PM

Since the finish you mention no longer exits, I'm not sure it's possible to compare. I do remember using that product some years ago and thought it was pretty good, but it's been a while so I can't really say for sure what the base formula was like.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 03:27PM

If you mean Gudebrod "Rod Varnish" (one part water clean up) it is similar but not the same. I just finished a comparison for myself with the Gudebrod "Rod Varnish". The Aqua Seal is a harder finish (more chip resistant). I tested both on a metal spoon and a plastic spoon. The Gudebrod scratched easier with a finishing nail drawn across the surface --- not totally scientific.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 03:31PM by Ken Preston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster