I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Curing Time
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:28AM

Tried to do a seach to see what the general opinion is on how long the guide wrap expoxy should sit before you should put a rod to use. I know one builder that lets his set for 2 months but that seems excessive.

What does everyone generally do for safe measure.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Curing Time
Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:34AM

24 hours should be plenty of time. I have applied finish at night and fished the rod the next day with no problems on a couple of occasions.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:59AM

Ed...i typically wait 3 Days before i Fish with the Rod, even that may be a Longer waiting period than is necessary. That is just me erring on the side of caution...Cheers!!!....Wayne

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 20, 2011 12:20PM

2 months? I would hate to see how long he boils shrimp.

Personally, my rule of thumb is 5 days ... better safe than sorry. Thickness of coverage, brand of finish and room temps will all have a hand in curing time - but five days will cover anything that I have ever run across.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 01:26PM

For me 12 turning, then 12 hours sitting in the drier, untouched. Then 3 full days standing in the corner, untouched, then I am willing to test cast. I have no idea if it makes any difference, but ProKote stays soft for quite some time after it's applied. At 4 days, it's very firm and at or near, full hardness.

It's always a week or two before they get used for real.

It would be nice to have some overnight stuff for repairs when on a long trip. Do any of those foil pack finish packs from PacBay or Cabelas harden enough for use overnight? That would be a convenient way to take it along.

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 02:52PM

The ones I have used will be set about give or take 6 hours. then left over night to be sanded and re-coated. Depending on temps in your shop.

But it is said that finish does not -- Fully -- cure for about a week So I would think ?? about 48 hours In a warm place ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.192.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 05:42PM

I like 72 hours at 75 degrees F

John

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 07:09PM

I have had them used in as little as 72 hours after final application with no adverse effect, but I do perfer a minimum of 5 days whenever possible.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 08:52PM

Thanks. Seems like the consensous is a couple of days to a week but no more than a week. That's not a problem as I don't build a rod right before a trip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 08:52PM

Ed,
I like to give them at least three days of nice warm drying.

Roger

Posted by: italo busi (---.240-95-b.business.telecomitalia.it)
Date: February 21, 2011 05:07AM

I think that also depend wich kind of epoxy we use. I use flex, and after 8 hours into a place at 25°centigrade , the epoxy is cured, and the day after we are ready to go fishing .
Italo

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 08:32PM

If you had to do a quick repair, try Flex Coat Epoxy Glue.
In an emergency on a short trip, you may be able to use the 5 Minute version.
Other brands of liquid, (not paste) epoxy glue may work also.
Just be warned that they are usually thicker, and may be more brittle in the long run than epoxy thread finish.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 08:44PM

if you want to repair a tip or something with epoxy or whatever it may be, try the devcon stuff. its not what i would typically use, but for quick stuff use devcon, either ton epoxy, or 5 minute, but the 45 minute will even work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster