I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming Reel Seat
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 06:40AM

I'm seeing pics of reel seats on casting rods that are trimmed really close to the fore end of the nut when the reel is in place. So, my question is, how well does this work when taking the reel on and off? And, can we assume that most reels have a foot of similar length? I've been cutting a few threads off the end of the barrel when I trim the front end of the reel seat, but, after the reel is mounted, there is about 3 or four threads in front of the nut. I always assumed that you needed that to hold on to the nut when changing out the reel and to keep from damaging any finish in front of the seat. Such as finish over the wind check. Does the nut just slide right over the wind check when changing out the reel? How do you guys determine where to cut the reel seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming Reel Seat
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 18, 2011 07:00AM

Mount the reel. Now, move the nut forward until you just can remove the reel and then add a tad more for insurance ... mark the spot and make the cut. Be sure to make a square cut and clean it up after doing so. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 08:30AM

+1 as Jim , Pretty sraight forward. Good results- Bill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 10:07AM

Greg,
Actually, you are right on.
I have seen too many rods, where the reel seat has been trimmed too close and there are issues in installing and removing the reel.

Too many folks will select a reel, trim the reel seat to exactly fit that particular reel. Then, 6 months, a year, or 5 years down the road, a person wants to install a different reel with a different length reel foot and it doesn't fit.
A good rod that is well cared for will often outlast a dozen reels. Reel designs change - along with the length of the reel foot.
So, I just urge caution when it comes to trimming reel seats. Many many reel seats are trimmed too close and causes unhappiness down the road. In reality, there is really little reason to actually trim the reel seat any way.
Folks talk about saving weight. You are talking about saving a gram or fraction of an oz when you do this trimming and can end up with issues down the road. If you trim the seat, just be generous on the measurement and have a half dozen reels of various reel foot sizes to insure that all of the reels can be fit to the rod.

Good luck,
Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 10:30AM

Greg,

So, my question is, how well does this work when taking the reel on and off?

As long as there is nothing in front of the seat taller than the barrel of the reel seat (excluding the thickness of the threads), there will be no problems. The hoods are keyed to assure proper alignment when the hood is started back onto the seat. As long as you have enough threads for the full length of the nut once it's tightened down, you will have no problem. I think I've even read of people cutting off a portion of the nut as well.

And, can we assume that most reels have a foot of similar length?

Ball park, yes, exactly NO. I trim mine based on the fit of reels in my arsenal that take up the most room in the seat. I also try to leave about 1/8" worth of extra threads, just in case I ever encounter a foot that takes up even more room.

I've been cutting a few threads off the end of the barrel when I trim the front end of the reel seat, but, after the reel is mounted, there is about 3 or four threads in front of the nut. I always assumed that you needed that to hold on to the nut when changing out the reel and to keep from damaging any finish in front of the seat. Such as finish over the wind check. Does the nut just slide right over the wind check when changing out the reel?

You have to be careful here. I usually finish off my seats with an o-ring in the end, or if the interior is ribbed, I'll cut pieces of EVA foam to fill the gaps at the end. I usually don't use a winding check, but rather build a 'mini-ramp' at the front of the seat, up to the barrel of the seat when I apply finish to the trim wrap in front of the seat. If you use a bored out butt cap designed for fly reel seats, as pictured in an image or two from Tom Kirkman on the photo board, you need to be extra careful in how you trim. The lip on those plugs is the same height as the threads on the reel seat. You need to make sure you have enough threads on the seat to be able to change the reel. Trim off too many threads, and you are stuck modifying reel feet, or cutting off the seat.

How do you guys determine where to cut the reel seat?
I put the reel that needs the most room on the seat with the nut tightened down. Then measure from the end of the seat to the place I want to cut ~1/8" in front of the nut. If NOT using the butt plug, this puts me at trimming about 1/2" from the end of the barrel. With the plug to finish the seat, you may only be able to trim about 1/4" of threads, if that from the end of the seat.

Joe

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 02:00PM

Roger, you may have no reason to trim a reel seat but that doesnt speak for everyone. I personally trim all my personal rods reel seats. Since I am a surf angler and use reels without levelwinds I have to lay the line back on my reel. In most cases a size 24 reel seat is way to long for my needs and I wind up with my hand partially on the reelseat while laying the line on the reel. Thus I trim my seats...Oh and I dont care at all what it weighs

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 02:49PM

I trim all of mine. I show the customer how to back the nut out and slip one end of the foot in first. No sense in having a bunch of ugly threads showing. That's what makes a custom - going the extra mile in looks and weight.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 05:29PM

I normally trim mine as well. This is especially true when using larger reel seats such as size 18 and up. Those sizes feel much better in ones hand but can leave an inch or more of of unneeded threads on a typical fresh water spinning reel.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: February 19, 2011 04:10AM

If you do choose to trim the seat to the point that the nut comes off when removing the reel AND you use all micro guides. Be carefull when changing reels at the lake. And you might want to carry a spare nut or 2. They make a really neat little splash sound when they hit the water.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 11:01AM

Is that experience I hear talking? :)

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster