I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva Glue - adhesive
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:22PM

Hi guys
Wondering if this is good for gluing eva Going to have an order for mudhole and seen this.
Going to play with some eva handles. Pliobond [www.mudhole.com]- Did not see anything else on there site.

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva Glue - adhesive
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 01:19AM

the site is not working for me but i always use U-40 ten minute rod bond. Just gotta be quick when using it or else lol...

Posted by: Richard Kline (65.215.114.---)
Date: February 10, 2011 07:56AM

Bill:
Pilobond or DAP Weldwood Contact cement work well, you can pick-up DAP at any of the Home Improvement Centers

Rich Kline CR

Date: February 10, 2011 08:28AM

Got a Home Depot near me I should go and look around
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 08:29AM

I like any slow curing epoxy for 2 reasons - 1, it lubricates the blank so you can slide the EVA in place; and 2, slow cure gives me time to clean it back off the blank with alcohol. I'm seldom in that big a hurry. I have used the 5min stuff, but like the above post says, you have to be somewhat quick.

Date: February 10, 2011 08:31AM

I am talking of gluing eva to eva. Adding some bling to handles.
I keep looking at Billies stuff and am tired of filling in holes. I know foam grips no holes. Want to play with eva.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 08:39AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 08:34AM

Sorry, I didn't understand that part.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 08:57AM

EVA to EVA use the red can contact cement, make sure you get the liquid not gel it is easier to work with. I have tried both. This is the same Glue Billy Vivona uses on his inlays.

Date: February 10, 2011 10:01AM

I guess your talking at Home Depot ? Got a name on that red can. I'll be standing there picking up any red cans I find

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 10:30AM

Weldwood contact cement in a Red can. That's the one I use also.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2011 10:33AM

The Weldwood contact cement can generally be found in small brown glass bottles. It remains the best product for gluing EVA to EVA because it doesn't leave a hard nor visible seam between the pieces.

Date: February 10, 2011 10:37AM

I like the glass bottles. Should keep it workable longer
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 11:10AM

Tom is perfectly correct in suggesting the small brown bottle of Weldwood Contact Cement.. I have been using it for more then 30 years and have made hundreds of inlay grips using it and also thousands of cut trim ring designs in eva grips using contact cement. It not only leaves no hard edges when used but it is also impervious to salt water damage.

A rod that I made for a fisherman that had I glued 420 cut pieces of colored trim rings to form a design using contact was dropped overboard one freezing day in January and laid on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months . It was recoverd after that time and the grip is still in perfect condition and every glue joint is still intact. I have used it to demonstrate the benefits of the product as well as other products I used in making of that rod.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 03:41PM

eva - to -eva, DAP cement
cork to eva (like an endcap) 5-min epoxy. I've had pretty much every rubberized cork ring butt cap i tried gluing with cement to eva fall off. Quick epoxy job to fix and its never coming off now.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: February 10, 2011 05:26PM

Now ya make me want to play with Rod Bond. A very thing coat And maybe Got a few small pieces got to try it Just for the You know Of it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-252-165.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 05:34AM

Bill read bernies post and follow it too a tee. I have tried everything and then read his article. I was never all that impressed with my glue lines till I read and followed his method. It works great and is bomb proof. You can.t find the seams if your fit is good. Plus it has some stretch capability when it comes time to install. Rod bond does not do that.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:58AM

Weldwood Contact Cement - - same as Bernie's post. I've found nothing that works better

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:21AM

why not try the green can of Weldwood? MAybe Titebond 3, that might work out great. MAybe a needle and thread to stitch the pieces together?

Date: February 11, 2011 10:33AM

That's OK Billy. I'll get the Weldwood

O yea How are you clamping angle pieces together. Rings or ends can be done like cork. But angle strips probably have a special way to hold tight ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 12, 2011 12:04PM

I just found out that the DAP was the Weldwood adhesive

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster