I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which snakes?
Posted by: patrick crisci (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 10:19PM

Hello,
first post here... i will be building a glass fly rod and want to use double foot snake guides. There are just so many choices, brands, materials, etc., in a wide variety of prices ranging from $.65 to more than $2.00 apiece for snake guides... what is the difference in a .65 cent snake guide versus a $2 one? do the expensive ones really perform better? For those of you who use snake guides, what do you choose for your rods, and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which snakes?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 10:21PM

I find that the very cheap ones are not as well finished (the feet) and not as consistent in shape and alignment of the feet. Having said all that, you should know that I only build fly rods and have gone over almost exclusively to single foot guides.

Posted by: patrick crisci (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:05PM

hear good things about fuji alconite SF guides, but am looking for a more traditional look. thanks for your reply-- re the foot shape/alignment of less expensive snakes, i was not aware of that.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:23PM

My favorite is Snake guides, hard, beautifully finished with guide feet and a shape that needs no work before wrapping. Hopkins and Holloway guides are my second choice for many of the same reasons.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:24PM

All depends on how much you want to spend. Me I go for the hard chrome.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:24PM

Patric,
I use only REC recoils. I used to use only s/f recoils for their lightness and only one wrap. But I tried their snakes on a couple of rods and like them a lot. The wraps on a snake are shorter than on a s/f and the profile is a little lower - so IMO the weight is about the same. And, due to the "side-door" effect, the snakes have about 15% more room for the line to go through. I am using them pretty extensively now.

Also - the REC recoils in either s/f or snakes will never corrode. The chromed ones do and the guide will ultimately have to be replaced. It makes me cringe to look at my Burkheimer customs with corroded guides erupting from the thread finish.

Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:26PM

You are a builder, replace them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:58PM

the hopkins and holloway are nice guides and i used to use them quite abit until i have settled on using the single foot minimas. I only use snakes if a client wants them

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: February 10, 2011 01:00PM

I use two brands:

Snake Brand - In my opinion these are the best snake guides available today. The bottom of the guide foot is radiused to match the curvature of the blank and the feet are perfectly ground so no additional prep is needed. The downside is the cost...

PacBay Light Wire snakes (XSNLG) - These are the lightest traditional snake guides available (as far as I know). Very thin wire, nicely shaped feet for little or no prep. They are very reasonably priced. These I use for my lightest rods.

I do not use the REC recoils even though they are the lightest available guides and do not corrode. I have used them on several builds and my client's complained because, for some reason they make a LOT of noise (they "sing") when the line pulls through them...several of them have asked me to replace them because of this, so now I just don't build with them.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 04:25PM

What type of Wt. rod are you building? I use nothing but single ft. inserted ring guides now. I would get the best guides you could afford. I would do a comparison manufacture check list first. No matter who you talk to, each of us have a favorite

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 11, 2011 07:44AM

Walt,
I took a look at the "Snake Brand" giudes and like the look of them. Have you weighed them on a digital scale vs the recoils??

And, does the stainless steel discolor with use in saltwater?? Do you have any idea what formular SS they use??

I will contact "Snake" but I thought I might get faster ans. here.

Herb

BTW - REC Recoils really only sing - and they do - when the line is dirty or dry - or both.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 03:06PM

Herb,

I don't build for saltwater (yet!), so I have not needed to address the issue of discoloration.
I doubt that they are as light as the recoils...

I'm sure Mike or Susan will be able to answer your questions though.

Their contact number is 360-666-9928.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: February 11, 2011 03:32PM

Walt,
Thanks.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster