I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo fly rod restoration?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 11:50AM

Knowing that I occasionally manage to complete a rod or two, my sister's brother-in-law got in touch with me this past weekend and wanted to know if I could do some restoration work on a bamboo Shakespeare Wonder Rod he owns. From looking at the rod, about all that is really required is replacing a number of wraps, however, since I have never worked with bamboo, I was unsure if the materials I might use would be compatible with something probably made in the 40's. I am more than a little hesitant to undertake this job. I imagine I could do the repairs, but I also imagine they could seriously devalue the rod. I don't know, so I passed. However, I told him I would look into the matter. Does anyone know anyone in the central Virginia area (or, northern Virginia or southern Maryland) that does restoration work on bamboo rods? Among other things, the butt section (three part rod) had short 1/16" or so wraps every inch along it. Some were missing. Some were unraveling. Additionally the finish on all the wraps seemed to be very minimal by today's standards. Any help would be appreciated.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo fly rod restoration?
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 12:42PM

Hunter: Perhaps the directory on this site can help you locate a rod builder in your area. The thread is probably silk and the finish is most likely varnish. Both of these are readily available. John

Date: February 09, 2011 01:16PM

Thanks, John. I should have done that first. There's no one in Virginia in the directory, but there may be someone in Maryland. Thanks.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 01:22PM

Yes, I am located in Maryland (just south of Baltimore) and I do repairs, restoration, refurbishing of bamboo rods. The information above is correct - silk and varnish.

Contact me "off board" in email and we can go over the differences between refurbish and restoration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 01:23PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 05:03PM

If Ken doesn't want to do it you can contact me also. that's 99% of my business.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 07:53PM

Hunter,

I did a complete restoration on a good 1930's - 1940's vintage 8ft 5wt 3/2 rod. I was coached by top notch bamboo rod builder. He had me remove guides, strip finish (citrus based chemical), sand on flats 200 - 800 grit (careful), found a number of boo-boos which had to be repaired, one pinned Ferrel replaced, he straightened with heat and dip finished (4 coats of heated and thinned spar varnish), then I wrapped guides with silk and finished wraps with 6 coats of same thinned spar varnish. Left handle and reel seat original for authenticity. A lot of work and not cheap. Used rod for 1 1/2 years before it died. Both tip sections brook, one at Ferrel, other between 1st and 2nd guides. But worst (before breaking) was the wood just lost it's integrity. Started to look like a cork screw, it would develop a sag with use or storage, began to cast like a wet noodle.

Just my experience, I won't do it again. John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 04:34PM

I would find a bamboo rod/blank restoration site and check out all the do's and do not's

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 05:58PM

Made a friend a 6'-6" bamboo rod from an old rod he gave me. Only the top (2) sections were any good.
Well I get a call about a month ago, the tip snapped about 7" down. (lasted (3) yrs. though)
He gave me (2) tip sections, which again looked in pretty bad shape.
So I went to Joe Cote's shop here in Mass. and talked to Ray.
He showed me how to check a few things to determine if it was even worth my using these tips.
They appeared to be OK but in his words "good luck, I wouldn't guaranty anything, these could go at any time."

As this is a friend I expained the situation to him, if it were a customer I'd say "No Way"

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 08:21PM

Where I see a problem, in older Bamboo rods the used horse glue, which after a time gets brittle. You need to go over each section with a magnifying glass and flex each section to see if there is any hidden cracks or glue separation. If the rod finish has seen better days don't sand, sanding removes the normal enamel. I would use the scraping method. If you intend to do it your self! Get a book called Bamboo Rod restoring. Mind you this is a time consuming job. I have seen 85 year old rods restored and still can be fished for another 85 years if taken care of properly

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:17AM

What Bob says works , I use the same basics , with good results . Are you sure its a WONDERROD ? I thought they were glass . I know Shakespeare made bamboo rods but have never seen a WONDERROD in boo . Larry

Date: February 11, 2011 12:13PM

Larry, I am pretty certain the decal said Wonder Rod, however, much of the it was missing. There was enough of it to make out the Shakespeare part, and it appeared as though it said "Wonder Rod", but I could have been mistaken and was filling the the gaps with a preconceived notion. At any rate, I declined the attempt to restore due to my lack of experience with bamboo, and referred him to the directory here.
Slainte,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster