I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod Wrapper and Rattle Trap Blank
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:23PM

First, I just found a Gudebrod rod wrapper that a guy wants to sell and i was wondering what would be a good price to offer. All of the parts are there, everything works, the only down side is the O-rings all need to be replaced from the motor to the holders themselves.

Second, the same guy wants a blank that (in his words) "will chunk a rattle trap a mile and still be able to set the hook without ripping lips".

thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod Wrapper and Rattle Trap Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 01:09AM

Try the Batson CB 80 MH for rattle traps. No experience with a Gudebrod rod wrapper.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 02:00AM

Wes,
You can go to virtually any hardware store to the plumbing department and pick up the O ring that you need for the wrapper.

The wrapper is worth exactly t he price that the seller is willing to part with it for.
I have never heard of a gudebond wrapper. Can you post a picture of it? Is it similar to a flex coat, or other brand wrapper that is currently on the market?

If you look at one of todays new wrappers, start with an offer that is about 1/4 of one of those units or best counter offer. The offer of a counter offer will keep you in the bidding so that you can find out what the seller really wants for his item. It is also important to know the price of a new replacement item of similar nature, so that you don't offer too much. In any case, for an item that is several years old, and is not of an antique nature, one should seldom go over 1/2 the price of a new item.
This would be pretty typical for virtually any used item that a person wants to make an offer on. You can always go up in price, but seldom can reduce your price.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:25AM

Get with the guys from Swampland and get a Castaway 963, 964 or 965 XP3. One of these will fit the lure size of a rattle trap being used and will throw it a country mile. Use all micro guides and even with 65 pound braid, it casts great.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:37AM

Seeker S706S.

Posted by: John Quigley (64.109.140.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:43AM

Roger,

I would say the wrapper is worth what the price for which the seller is able to sell it, rather than for what he is willing to accept. I know I have some things that I wouldn't part with for what the market would indicate I should; It doesn't mean they are worth that, they are just worth that to me...

I do agree with your advice of trying to spend no more than half the price of the item when new if it is not some collectible item.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 11:22AM

For the blank, you want a medium popping blank rated for 1/4 - 5/8 oz. lure for casting distance. The higher the modulus the better (casting efficiency). It's designed for more powerful two-handed casting. Some of the other popular crankbait blanks are softer so as not to tear a bigger hole in the fishes mouth with little crankbait hooks, but they won't have the casting potential.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 05:28PM

Mike is right on track with the Swampland boys being the ones who you need to talk to for the blank!!! they will set you up right

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 10:17PM

My favorite rattle trap blank is the RX7 IP844.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster