I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guides for Bottom Fishing/light Jigging
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:17PM

Hey guys.
I'm not too familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of micro guides.
Im building grandpa a rod (Seeker Hercules Inshore Lite GTS72L)
I will probably end up using the rod in the end since he only goes fishing with me.
He probably won't even realize the size.
Basically im wondering if i can use it for whats listed above. the fish will never tip 20lbs on the scale. bottom fishing probably up to 7 lbs.
Thanks in advance.

Gabe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guides for Bottom Fishing/light Jigging
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:37PM

Nothing has changed - you want to use the smallest and lightest guides that will pass your line and any required connections and hold up to the required task.

A penalty is incurred for using guides that are larger, or smaller, than necessary. Too large and you add unnecessary weight that degrades performance (now much so depends on how much weight we're talking about against the rod power and length involved). Too small and you may have connections hanging in the rings, quick ice-up, etc.

Date: February 03, 2011 10:03PM

Thanks Tom.
Glad to hear that. I'm going to probably use em'.
Thank you.

Posted by: Brad Rhodes (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 10:19PM

i hope your gpa can see well cuz they are a pain to run the line through lol

Date: February 03, 2011 10:47PM

I guess I'll be doing that part...

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:21PM

Brad;
its actually pretty easy
click on this thread and read on down for some good info on a trick that makes it easy
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 12:21AM

TLDBSG size 6 pass knots fine for teh fishing you're going ot be doing with that rod. The regular single foot fly guides suck for boat fishing, these are built for SW rods and will withstand abuse MUCH ?BETTER than any othe rSF guide, not to mention they are tangle free, and Titanium. $7.50 each an dI go tthem in stock, been using them for 6 years on my own rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 02:04AM

Gabe,
To be honest, considering the weight line, and the weight lure / bait that you are using for a bottom fishing rod, I find it a bit diffitult to justify the use of the micros on this style rod.

As one of the others pointed out, small guides, with older eyes seldom go hand in hand. Also, if this rod is going to be used by different folks, the size of the guides may cause problems if they have to rethread the line. But, certainly the use of the micros will handle the line and fish, so it is really up to you. If you do use micros, be sure to use a locking wrap when wrapping to insure not losing the guides.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 09:42AM

I would think for Grandpa maybe you should not go toooo small ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2011 01:58PM

I do all of his tying up and rebating rehooking and everything besides the fishing part.
Ill probably be using no more then 40lb mono.. if no then just 40lb braid. i think that'll be okay. thanks guys.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 03:10PM

There is never any retying and rethreading the line when you bottom fish. Most of my rods sit withteh loine spoolled up all year unless I take them to shows or gatheirngs and take the reels off for trasport.

Date: February 04, 2011 03:26PM

Dont get me wrong i like the micro guides im wanting to use them on a few rods for my dad. I used a skeet rod a while back with them on it and the line glides through them great and it seems like you can cast farther with the micros. Its just they are so MICRO its not as easy to thread line through them for me. But i still want some on my rods for myself and my dad

Date: February 04, 2011 03:31PM

Steve,

have you ever used the snake guides on a bass rod? I like the looks of them and was wondering if they are as goos as any other guide on a bass Rod

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 07:20PM

I would not use snake guides on bass rods.
Apart from the line running directly on the blank and that effecting casting and retrieving.

The lines you would be using on a bass rods are of a much smaller diameter then fly lines and may actually get pinched into the place where guide meets blank which could damage the line or cause it to bind while fighting a fish costing you the fish

Date: February 04, 2011 11:07PM

i agree with steve about the line being pinched.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster