I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with build
Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 11:44PM

Ok so this is my first of many question I will have for hopefully the next 40-60 years. I am building my first few rods over the next few months.
I have already sunk a good two grand into all my tools. Now a am trying to figure out all the components I will need to build my first three 50lb class
Flathead rods. I plan on keeping cost down for these three and I am looking at these rods as practice and to also to try a few things outside the box on conventional thought
which is the reason I decided to build my own rods in the first place. So any ways I have ran into a rod block I prefer the feel of eva grips but
I hate how fat they get over a thick waled blank. so my plan is to ream out a under sized eva grip to help reduce the overall diameter of the grip once on the blank. Can this be done
and if so dose anyone have a cheep easy method like there is for reaming cork. The other option I looked at was using nu-skin over cork tape but I understand it will stretch
and slip in time. Is there any tricks to keep this from happening other then the windex fix.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with build
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 02:55AM

Bill the other thing you may want to try is sanding down the eva to fit your hand. I use 80 and 50 grit sanding screen. I find it at Harbor Freight stores. I use it to reshape hypalon and EVA all the time. I also use it to sand down both before mentioned grip stock. It takes a little time but It works great IMO.

Tight lines,

John

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 07:04AM

if you can make it come to the ICRBE at High Point. you will be able to look, see, and handle just about everything out there in blanks and components. You can also talk to builders from everywhere and learn from builders who set the standard and challenge the limits as well as seeing truly incredible rods. it would be well worth it to make the trip. I have heard it said that one weekend there will teach you more than years on your own

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 12:35PM

Bill,
You can easily take a long round rotary rasp in an electric drill and quickly take out the inside of an eva grip so that it simply slides down the blank. Coat the blank well with epoxy well up the grip as in the area where the grip will be mounted and that will insure that the full length of the interior of the grip has been coated. You will get 0 enlargement of the eva if you do it this way. Certainly, you can stretch the grip, but no need to if you want to ream and drill the grip to fit the blank with no stretching at all.

Also, as one of the posters suggested, you can also put the grip on a taped up rod and into your lathe. Then, sand down the outside of the grip for a thinner grip.

[www.jackstoolshed.com]

[www.google.com]#

Chuck the rasp into the extension, and the extension into the drill. Work out the inside of the grip - pick up a few grips so that you can practice and go to a new one if you ruin the first one.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 03, 2011 02:25PM

Pick a grip outside diameter that is comfortable to your hand. Ditto on the reel seat.

I find 1 1/4" O.D. a little small in a heavy duty rod with a convential reel. 1 1/2" can feel a little fat. It is very easy to sand to desired size. Put it in you power wrapper and have a go with drywall sanding screen. Follow up with 220 thru 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and you can get whatever you want.

On a reel seat I might go as small as a 16 for a baitcaster but perfer something like a 22 in a spinning reel. In short get what fits you, not what fits the blank:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 04:32PM

You can also put a cord grip on --- outside the box --- or rattan - or cork tape - which will all make the handle a lot smaller - or as thick as -you- want plus there are a lot of colored materials for the same
leather for another, I can also think of more
Don't know if it is made put also a colored shrink tube as used in electrical wiring - if large enough - with thin cord under ???

there is always more then one way to skin this cat

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 04:46PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 03, 2011 11:16PM

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably try a few of these methods. I also contacted the company that makes the eva grip for the Boga Grip
I really like how thin walled and dense there grip is . Or maybe I just have never felt quality eva. I plan on using alps trigger seats size 20. I was
told it would fit my Sea line 40's. I am ordering some components from mud hole and some from batson I am Still shooting from the hip
sizing everything up.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:06AM

All those "extra parts" simply represent the start of the next rod .... and the next rod ...... and the next...

Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:23AM

Amen to that, Ken

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:46AM

Sorry for being offensive. I never said state of the art. I understand its a skill that takes years to master. I said outside the box in
terms of the way most stock catfish rods come available from the store .The things I planed on doing that may or may
not have been tried with or with out success is glow powder in my epoxy, glow thread, (not on eyes)
hook keeper on top (because I crush them on the bottom) and, a way to quickly attach my rods to My backpack because I am a hiker. Things that would help
me and the way I fish. I am not clamming to be able change the fishing world or trying to sell my rods. Nor did I think my grip was
original. I didn't join and ask for help because I think its easy. I have tremendous respect for the knowledge art and skill required
to make a finely tuned and precise rod. That's why I'm here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster