I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

raised thread fibers after first coat of thin finnish
Posted by: loren pontius (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 04:02PM

This is my second fly rod and no problems with the first. I wrap the guides with thread in a cup and thru a book to maintain tension. This time I used a Gutebrod thread that was ncp olive green and after the first coat of thin flex coat finish the wraps looked and felt rough like there were little thread fibers that had been raised by the finish. I didn't have this problem with the nylon thread used on the first rod. I didn't coat the top rod section and am thinking I need to rewrap the guides on both sections. What do I need to do to protect the rod blanks finish and clean up for the new thread on the bottom half of the rod? Will I have to make the new wraps a little longer? Is the NCP thread more fragile or did I use too much tension and cause the thread to fuzz? Any and all information or suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raised thread fibers after first coat of thin finnish
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 05:04PM

Loren,
Start by looking carefully at the thread directly off the spool (no tension, not stretched). Every once in awhile a "bad" batch of thread gets spooled from large, industrial bobbins to smaller spools. On any wraps that do not have epoxy on them you can singe the threads by holding an alcohol lamp or butane cigarette lighter near them - just be careful how close you get --- definitely not closer than 3 inches (4 is better).

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 05:14PM

Loren,
Most likely you have a bad batch or spool of thread as Ken pointed out.
I would throw this spool of thread away to prevent future rods from being hurt.
In the main time, you can let your first finish coat dry completely, and then use 220 grit sanding strips to sand down the bumps on the wraps. Wipe well and then apply a 2nd coat of finish. You will likely be fine.

Good luck
Roger

Date: February 01, 2011 05:59PM

Thanks Roger, I pulled off about 15 ft of thread and it looked good comming off of the spool but as soon as I ran my fingers along the thread you could see some fuzzy spots showing up. Seeing as I didn't epoxy the wraps on the top section of the rod I will remove the wraps on the butt section and start over. Any suggestions to keep from damageing the blanks finish while cleaning up the old wraps?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 06:04PM

Put on a 2nd coat and see what you got......

DR

Date: February 01, 2011 06:16PM

Thanks Ken, there are only 3 guides on the butt section to remove and the way my luck is running lately I would end up ruining the loomis blank if I tried to singe all the wraps on the top. I am not in a hurry to get this rod finished so will clean up the bad wraps and start over. I only epoxied the wraps yesterday and am hopeing they come off without too much trouble and I will pay closer attention to the thread when I wrap it next time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 06:54PM

Loren,
Since you recently coated the guides, the finish should clean up pretty well.
Just use a bit of gentle heat, and a straight edged razor blade to scrape off the finsih and thread - with the blade held at right angles to the blank.

When working on a rod like this, I like to take masking tape and put about three wraps next to where the finish ends. That way, if the blade slips, it only hits the masking tape and does nothing to the blank.
Then, if there is any difference in the blank where the finish was- compared to the new blank, just extend the wraps enough to cover any flaws that might have been caused by the guide removal. The masking tape will limit the amount of damage that might be caused by guide and finish removal.

Roger

Date: February 01, 2011 07:26PM

A LITTLE heat on the epoxy.... razor blade across the wraps on top of the guide foot, towards the ring to avoid cutting yourself and the wraps should peel off easily. If you can "catch a tag end" on the wrap below the guide foot they will unwind and pull the epoxy off with them. Clean up the edges with the edge of a piece of plastic (old credit cards work well) you will not damage the blank at all.

Date: February 01, 2011 07:59PM

ken and roger thanks for the good tips, I will clean up the blank in the morning but am off to a fly tying class this evening.
thanks again. loren

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 09:05AM

I do most clean up with a little heat from a hair dryer and thumb nail. That finish is fresh so it should just pop off.

A light sanding and 400 over any bad areas then a second coat and you should be good.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 03, 2011 06:22PM

I want to thank everyone who helped me solve and fix the problem I was having. I did try another coat of the thin epoxy after sanding down the raised fuzzy areas but it was still ugly. I tossed the NCR thread, stripped the guides off and the wifes hairdryer really helped peel off the old wraps. You almost couldn't tell the blank ever had epoxy on it but my thumb nails have a groove in them. Thanks again. Loren

Date: February 03, 2011 06:58PM

Loren -
an old plastic credit card (or something similar) will save the rod blank = and your thumb nails

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster