I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight Advise
Posted by: Todd Clark (---.skyriver.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:53AM

Hey everyone, I am new to this board so if this has been discussed before I apologize.

I have wrapped 10-15 ocean rods in the past with no problems, but now I am getting into ultralight (2-6 pound) blanks for pan fish.

I have switched to size A thread and I am having some problems. I cannot close the gaps in the thread when burnishing. I think I may be tentioning my thread too tight. Does anyone have a rule of thumb to how tight the thread should be when wrapping?

Also is it recommended to use underwraps on an ultralight? I always used them on my heavier rods, but I am unsure of them on UL blanks.

Thanks in advance for any advise offered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight Advise
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 11:12AM

there is no need for underwraps on lighter rods. try lighter tension. the thread should be firm but still allow some movement of the guide for adjustments just not so light the guide slides around.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 11:19AM

The UL are definitely harder to build, at least for me. I would suggest also looking at using Permagloss for finish on really light rods.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 02:06PM

When you can pull the thread off with thumb and forefinger , the tension is about right. If it takes thumb and 2 fingers, you are probably too tight.
No under wraps needed on light ,fresh water rods.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 02:09PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 02:12PM

If you can't close the gaps in burnishing - chances are that the gaps were too large between the thread when you wrapped them. You could try packing the threads after several turns of the rod and adjusting the tension. You should be able to move 5-6 wraps of thread with your thumbnail fairly easily = if not then the threads are too tight. If they jump over each other or don't pack evenly then the thread was too loose. This is a "practice makes perfect" operation and you'll know when you get it right - there really isn't a formula or "ounces of pull". Different thread (diameters and types) 'work' differently.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 31, 2011 02:22PM

It could be you aren't dressing the feet of the guides enough too. I'd much rather wrap blue water rods. BTW, you might consider no underwraps (and single foot guides) for the spinning rods at least.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Wiley (129.41.205.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 06:31PM

Todd,
Did you use different sizes of thread?? underwrap / overwrap ,,That will cause problems also...
Just a thought..
John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:35PM

Todd,.
Work on your wrapping technique, so that you don't have to pack your thread. I often hear comments about thread packing, but if you wrap tightly, the wraps will be packed when you finish.

As you wrap, if you can see either the blank, or the guide between your wraps, you are not wrapping with the threads close enough together. I generally have the thread at about 20 degrees down stream from the wraps, so that the thread is angled at 20 degrees toward the previous wrap. By doing this, the thread will self pack and not require much futher packing after the guide wrap has been completed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Dan Nico (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2011 11:31PM

I'm new at rod building, I've done a few wraps with size D which I got used to, then I tried A and it is so much harder for me. I think it just takes more practice but for my hands D closes the gaps much easier.

Posted by: Todd Clark (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 11:57PM

Thanks everyone for the advise. I am planning to use a rod that broke a while back for some practice. I found it while cleaning out the garage this past weekend. UL is certainly harder than ocean rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster