I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing split grips
Posted by: Jonathan Colt (108.25.159.---)
Date: January 30, 2011 07:57PM

What kind of clamps do you guys use to keep the seat and the grips on each side of it in place? My regular clamp wont work.

<'{{{{{=-<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing split grips
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 08:28PM

I do one piece at a time with Devcon 5 minute epoxy.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 09:02PM

Jonathan,
I have made my own cork clamps.
Basically, two boards with a hole in one of them, and a pair of holes on the sides of each board.
For conventional rods, slip the board with the hole over the tip, and butt the other board against the bottom of the grip, put on the wing nuts and tighten down.

For split grips, I made a similar pair of cork clamps.
The only difference is that the bottom board has the hole sawed out on one side, so that this creates a U shape that easily slips over the bottom of the upper split grip.

Then, for the lower or butt grip, I use the same u shaped clamp for the top of the butt grip and use the flat board for the butt side of the butt grip.

I normally have a hole bored part way through the bottom or butt clamp which is larger than any of my grips. That hole will keep the bottom clamp centered on the butt section.

If I am gluing up a rod that does not have an integral butt clamp, I also have a screw threaded up through the bottom clamp board. This screw simply slips up into the butt - along with the partially bored out center butt board hole to center the butt of the rod in the clamping board.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 09:17PM

I slit a piece of PVC pipe and use it as a spacer between the split grips. That way you can use your clamp as usual and then remove the PVC spacer afterwards.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 07:08AM

The best cork clamps I found I copied from Mike Barkely. You may find a picture in photos. put his name in and hit all dates and it may show up.

Anyway, it is an 18" Irwin bar clamp. I drilled a 9/16" hole on the one end and used a jig saw to cut down to the hole from the top of the end. This formed a nice "U" which the blank will fit into. The other end just has a 9 /16' hole which will allow the blank to slide into, It is extremely fast to adjust

Not all of the clamps will allow you to do this, they have a gusset in the center of both ends. Mine have two gussets on each end and that is where I was able to drill the hole

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 08:09AM

never needed a clamp. My handles go on snug and fit so well that the seat and butt grip has no gaps.
A little glue turn several times done. Clean.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:21AM

Bill,
In particular, my post was referring to the use of clamps to clamp individual rings in a split grip style, Glue up the rings, and then turn the handle while the rings are on the rod.

In this case, you must use clamps to clamp the rings or you will have big glue lines on your rod.

Most folks do not glue up the rings on the rod. Rather, they glue up the rings off the rod, turn the handle pieces, and then assemble the handle pieces to the rod blanks.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:25PM

Yes I do But I use a threaded rod to glue the rings together, Then ream to fit an arbor and shape. After done I ream to fit the blank

A lot easer then on the blank to shape.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:42PM

I always turn my grips with an arbor on the lathe, then ream to get the proper spacing and fit as to where the grip is to be placed. I am not set up to turn the cork when it is installed on the blank, unless I use my power wrapper, and that ain't never gonna happen, don't want a particles flying around in the room where I do my wraping and finishing.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:19PM

Richard- The split PVC pipe idea es genius! Ideas like that are why I read these posts. Thanks for the tip, I'll put that to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster