I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Here...(Warning: Long Post, Lots of Questions)
Posted by: Alan Yuodsnukis (---.hsd1.me.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 08:06PM

I'm new to rod building and this board, and wanted to introduce myself by way of a few questions about my first rod building project.

I'll be building a 12' 5/6 weight spey rod on an ARE IM6 graphite blank. According to the ARE website, the blank is a "rich mahogany brown color." The blank is on its way now, and I have the cork for both the upper and lower grips, but nothing else yet. I got some guidance from the good fellows over at Speypages, and think I might be looking to buy what follows. Am I on the right track?

1. Reel Seat - I love the look of a wood insert, but I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'm considering the Struble U-16 or U-26. What is the difference between them? Would either one be better suited for this rod, or is it a matter of personal preference? Also, any recommendations on the wood for the insert? I know the rod will get wet (I'm known to take the occasional unplanned swim) and that I will need stabilized wood. If I buy from the Struble website, are the wood inserts stabilized, or should I look elsewhere? I would also be happy to buy from a site sponsor if either of these or an equivalent seat and insert could be had for a similar price.

2. Stripping Guides - REC Recoil and H & H have both been recommended; 20 mm for the lower, 16 mm for the upper. Are those too big, too small, or just about right? Should I get braced, or not?

3. Guides - I'm told that REC Recoil is the only way to go. Where I need some guidance is around type (single or double foot?), size, and how many to buy. For aesthetic reasons, I'm partial to the two footers, but I could be talked into single foot if there is some kind of substantial advantage. Your thoughts?

4. Tip Top - REC Recoil seems to be the general consensus here, too. What size / type / model will I need? I suppose that depends on the guides I go with (or does it???) if I want them to "match".

If it makes any difference, this is going to be exclusively a freshwater rod, primarily fished with either a Steve Godshall Scandit head or mid belly line. Smallmouths and trout will be the intended targets. The blank only ran me $50, so I don't have a huge investment in it, but I would like it to last awhile, and perhaps pass it on to my 14 year old daughter someday. I'll probably fish it 20 - 30 times a year. I will have an experienced rod builder helping me through the process.

Many thanks for advice, opinions, good stories, and even bad jokes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Here...(Warning: Long Post, Lots of Questions)
Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 09:36PM

Welcome to the world of rod building, Just take your time on your build and you will be just fine. Sound like a nice build. Good luck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 09:52PM

Alan,
With respect to guides:
Actually simple snake guides work very well for this project and are just a fraction of the price of Recoil guides.
Unless you want to, no reason to go that expensive on the reel seat.

Especially, since this is your first project, it may not be the best idea to spend a lot of money for components.
When finished, it will be nice to say that this was my first project, but if you build a hundred or two rods, you will say, "my goodness, I have made progress in rod building".

As with any thing, practice makes perfect.

It is recommended by most folks that they start with fairly inexpensive components on a persons first rod, just so that the builder can get famililar with techniques, and not be too concerned about the absolute perfect job.

If you can even start with $10 blanks, it might make even more sense.

If, on the other hand, you can build your rod at a rod building shop under the direction of a good teacher or builder, then you might venture into some higher end components, because the teacher can help you avoid from making mistakes.

Good luck and welcome to the avocation of rod building.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 12:44AM

IMHO That's a huge reelseat, huge size 20 stripper on a light spey rod, and I don't see Recoil guides as the only way to go, as Roger pointed out. H&H have that traditional, substantial look to the strippers.

Greg

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 20, 2011 08:10AM

Hi,
Those seats are way too big for that blank.
I would go with the U15, U18 or 15HG. I usually use REC and I would go with their RSLL in black or titanium smoke.

Re recoils - that is all I use for runners - either s/f or snakes. But for the size rod you are building I would use s/f.
I would go with a 16 stripper - 12 second and then a 10 or right to a #6 s/f. I would use Fuji V frame TI SiC or the REC 2 footed. The REC tip-top is perfect. I know you are fishing fresh - and the HH MAY not corrode over time - but I wouldn't take the chance.
Herb

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.18.---)
Date: January 20, 2011 10:33AM

Alan, you are sooooo early into this rod building thing that there may still be time for you to break free. However, if you insist on plowing forward into this exciting 'hobby/addiction' I would advise you to heed the recommendations of the posts. Some things look a little large and expensive for this rod. HOWEVER it comes out, NEVER change or re-build it. Keep it as solid reminder of your first build and use it as a thermomter for measurement of your improvement. If at any time in the future you feel the hobby has jumped into the realm of addiction you can contact ( for experienced professional help ) : Dr Michael Barkley or Dr Ray Adams!
Good Luck and Happy Building

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster