I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spatula or brush
Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 08:43AM

what is the best method to apply appoxy on wraps, spatula or a brush or does it matter? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spatula or brush
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 09:39AM

I never mastered "applying with a spatula" so I drop the finish onto the wrap with a brush, rotate, and wick it off the bottom with a spatula - duh.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2011 09:46AM

The correct tool as advised by those who manufacture epoxy, is a spatula. This is because epoxies are casting resins, not paints.

But you can use anything, including a brush, as long as you use it in a manner that allows you to get the job done.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.18.---)
Date: January 18, 2011 10:27AM

I have evolved to a spatula. The thin 'rectangle' end is used for most of the wrap and the triangular end is absolutely essential for small wraps and edges. The dripping on eliminates much of the creation of bubbles. Wicking the lower 'drip' is quite easy with the spatula and does not cause a 'cross-brushing/bubble producing' motion like a brush does. I do however find that a brush/dripping is easier for putting on CP.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 11:04AM

You are not suppose to cross brush your finish. Just lower the brush to the thread and let the finish be pulled off the brush.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 11:27AM

I use the McDonald's coffee stirrers as spatulas... because of the low cost (free), they are disposable... and I don't have to clean them, just throw them away. Also, I can cut the end of one in half, making it a micro spatula for micro guides.

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 18, 2011 11:41AM

I used brushes for awhile...Then bought the spatula set and Im very glad I did...It took a few wraps to get use to,but now my confidence is all in them.

For butt wraps...I grab a good amount and drip it on one end ,run it 360 around the wrap then start working towards the other end rotating the rod by hand as I go..Adding more finish when needed.
In most cases,the finish is leveled before Im done, and no wicking sags is needed...I feel I have better control and distribution with the spatulas.
That's just me.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 01:06PM

Mixing finish = spatula

Applying finish = brush

DR

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 01:08PM

When I started out building I used a brush. And I used some quality artists brushes that I already had.

Years later spatula's were all the rage and so many said they did a better job. I tried them and didn't care for them and didn't get better results.

One day someone posted a very detailed description of how they used a spatula to apply finish. Guess what? It was exactly how I used a brush for the most part.

I use my brush like both a brush and a spatula. I use it like a brush right away to wet the surface I'm finishing. Finish likes to stick to itself so wetting your surface helps your build layer find a home. Then I use it like the spatula description I read about. At this point its just a tool to load epoxy onto the rod and to apply a level layer. For me, the ability to have a brush and a spatula in one tool is important. I use different sizes of flat brushes depending on the width of the wraps I'm finishing.

For me...a brush is the only tool I'll use. A good quality brush with the proper shape.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: January 18, 2011 01:52PM

I use a probe that you would find in a biology classroom. Similar to a spatula and can reach into the hard to get at area with micros.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 07:11PM

Hank,
I have tried both. I never liked the time it took, nor the results that I obtained from the use of a spatula.

After cleaning brushes for a while, I tried some inexpensive - 5 cents a brush in large quantities - brushes and I haven't looked back. I use one brush per rod, and when finished, throw the brush away. Never any cleaning, or having to worry about the brush.
Quick application, holds plenty of finish, and easy spreading with the brush.
Most rods take about 3-8 minutes to finish, depending on the number of guides and length of butt wrap.

If you have never tried using your power wrapper to apply finish - give it a go. Instant start and stop with the wrapper, and when needed, pedal to the medal for quick application on the long wraps.
Put some cardboard on the lathe bed when finishing in between the guides, to keep and finish drips off of the wrapper bed.

After getting the finish on and smooth in the power wrapper, transfer to the slow turning dryer for an overnight run to harden.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 07:26PM

thanks for all of the help guys.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 07:30PM

Roger, perfect.

I too use cheap-o brushes bought at the big box store in the arts and crafts area. They do not shed, and work perfectly. Someone mentioned micro's.....All I do is take the brush, grab a pair of scissors and trim out the bristles until I get the size brush I want or need. New brush every time on every finish need.

DR

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2011 07:33PM

Tim Collins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never mastered "applying with a spatula" so I
> drop the finish onto the wrap with a brush,
> rotate, and wick it off the bottom with a spatula
> - duh.

I don't know about the others but I use Threadmaster Lite and being it's a bit thin already - it has a tenency to drip off the spatula rather quickly before I can get it to the wrap sometimes and the brush just seems "holds" the finish in place for just a bit longer. And I seem to do a better job on the edges with a brush - maybe it's just a me thing.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2011 11:37PM

Use a brush and get one that acts like a spatula.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 19, 2011 02:44PM

I get the "kids" pack of brushes from a box store, 30 for $1.88, and throw them away when I get done.

Posted by: matt willey (173.26.47.---)
Date: January 22, 2011 12:22AM

I use a power warper. I like brushes because if I want a round or football shape and if I want flat I cut the brush down have way that makes it stiff like spatula but I never used spatula but I seen on yo-tube

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster