I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide setup for Castaway 963 XP3
Posted by: Ben Hutton (173.20.120.---)
Date: January 08, 2011 05:33PM

I am preparing to build a popping rod for speckled trout on a Castaway 963 XP3 blank. I have built a few rods in the last year and I decided to try micros for the first time on this build. Since this is my first time using micros, I would like some advice on the guide setup. I plan to use 4mm Fuji Alconite running guides but I don't know what other sizes I'll need. I plan to use either a Shimano Stradic 2500 or Symetere 2500 reel. I built a similar rod last spring on a Batson CB80H-M for a friend. Using the NGC method, my guide setup for this rod wound up being 30-16-10-6-6-6-6-6-6. I used a Shimano Symetre 2500 to set this rod up. Since I will be using the same reel on the 963, I would think something like 25-16-8-4-4-4-4-4-4 would be a good starting point. What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide setup for Castaway 963 XP3
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:05PM

yes...you might not need the 16 and or 8...you could just go something in-between...one 12 or 10 should work

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 04:36PM

I would actually add a size 10 between the 16 and 8.
Roger

Date: January 09, 2011 10:13PM

I ordered a 25, 16, 10, 8, 7 4's, and a 4.5mm top today. That should give me plenty plenty of guides to play around with. I doubt that I'll need more than six 4's, I just like to order an extra guide or two just in case. I'll have to play around with the 16, 10, and 8 and see which combination works best. I appreciate the advice from both of you. Thanks.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:40PM

try 25,10,5, then the 4's out to the tip.... this is what I have recieved as a recommendation from Steve Gardner in the past... You WILL NOT be dissapointed with this set up...

Tom Kaufmann

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 01:34PM

I would listen to Mr. Kaufmann

Date: January 10, 2011 05:43PM

Mr. Kaufmann, when you recommend using a 10mm guide, are you referring to a 10mm BYAG or a BLAG type guide. The 10mm guide I ordered is a BLAG fly guide. Also, I don't have a 5mm on hand and I have already ordered my guides and would hate to pay shipping for 1 guide. Would it be fine to go straight from the 10 to the 4's or do I need a guide in between? The only size I have in between the 10 and 4 is an 8 (well, I do have several 6mm Hardloy guides but the ring color would really stand out against the all black Alconite guides).

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 01:05PM

Ben,

You would most likely want to go with the BYAG as that is what I use and was show how to use ( by Mr. Gardner!!).... I have not tried transitioning directly from the 10 to the 4 you might be able to bend the frame on the four slightly to get the appropriate height... I know that you don't want to order a single guide as I didn't when I first got started but I can tell you that I have a mock set up of guides from each manufactuer that I use... Batson and Fuji... Order up a second set for setup purposes and you won't be sorry especially if this will not be the only rod you make! Just a suggestion I could also offer up... If you get a chance to make it to High Point speak with Mr. Gardner and make his seminar... it will really OPEN up your eyes. He is a first class individual who has shared more with me than I could ever have hoped for!

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster