I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Best Spinning Handle
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 05:14PM

I have had various degrees of tendonitits in my casting arm (elbow) for about 9 years. It has given me a much higher sense of what feels good and does not stress fore arm, wrist, and hand. After trying a lot of handle options, none even come close to the comfort of the old Tennessee handle with the reel taped on.

It fills the hand, and does not have lots of edges and bumps like a reel seat. Still the best!

If we could come up with an easier way of mounting reels, I think this grip could make a comeback!

Have a great day,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Best Spinning Handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2011 05:24PM

If you can find an old Fuji LSH or USH, you may find you like it even better than a TN handle.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 05:38PM

Tom, were these the rubber type handles that totally and seamlessly hid and held the reel foot?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2011 06:00PM

Yes. They had a core of, hard, rigid plastic, with a covering of rubber to hold the reel foot. Still the most comfortable handles I've personally used on spinning rods.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 08, 2011 07:38PM

You might also find the system developed by JP Timberlake to be very comfortable. It was featured in a past issue of RodMaker magazine ... Volume 12, Issue 4.

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2011 11:13PM

I haven't used a Tennessee handle in years, but I wondered if anyone's tried heat shrink? Maybe even 2 layers?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 04:09AM

Marc, I too favor Tennessee handles and most my rods have em', except for the two rods I have posted a photo of in the misc.files.The rod on the top has a very comfortable grip that I use to throw finesse baits with. The bottom rod has an old Fuji-Lew's SpeedStick handle mounted to a UL bank fr trout fishing.I know you have a painful condition in you hands and I think that if you built a Tennessee handle and after mounting the reel with either electrical or Tommy tape, you can completely heatshrink the handle giving it the same feeling as the speed grip. Take into consideration the heatshrink covering when shaping the handle.Cut it a little thinner by about 1/8" so as not to be too bulky. Oh, and by the way, as far as I'm concerned, The Tennessee handle will always be my favorite spin handle.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 09:05AM

Fenwick's new "EliteTECH River Runner" rods have what appears to be a combination Tennessee handle and uplocking "hidden hood" reel seat design that is seemless like a TN handle, but is shaped like a fly rod handle. Haven't seen one in person, but they're interesting looking and would combine TN comfort with ease of reel attachment.

Dan

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 10:31AM

I make a spinning handle that is a compromise... split seat and hidden hood... the seat is split and a cork insert is used, and the hood is covered in cork also.... there is only about 1 - 1-1/3" of the seat threads exposed, 95% of the 15" handle is seamless cork... the exposed threaded portion of the 16" seat is so small, your hand basically rides over the threads and you feel mostly cork... and if you reposition your hand after your cast to the fore-grip, from the reel stem up it's all seamless cork.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 11:37AM

Marc,
Consider the use of the Americal Tackle Aero reel seat. A very comfortable reel seat with a nice palm filling hump. The rear grip is adjusted so that it fits nicely into the back of the reel seat and creates a seamless transition to the reel seat from the back grip.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Most of my clients who are given choices of reel seats almost alwyas choose the aero seat for comfort.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 02:10PM

My last three customers requested TN handles.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 06:23PM

I love Tennessee handles. I take it a step further and make them from a foam core with a carbon skin. The carbon skin grip gives you a rigid surface to tape the reel to instead of taping it to cork. I also find that by making it a split grip I can taper back side of the handle down and end up with a handle that is way more comfortable than any other one that I have used. Here is a picture of some of my spinning rods including a new dropshot rod I am working on.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Another thing you learn when you get serious building light rods is how heavy reel seats are. Most seats weigh full ounce or more, that may not sound like much but on a really light rod it can weigh more than all the other parts combined. A 5 inch long carbon skinned grip section weighs about 90 percent less than a conventional reel seat.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 09:37PM

Never knew the Tennessee grip went away

Might consider reading RodMaker Vol 10 Issue #4, and Vol. 11 Issue #1
For a viable , comfortable option to mounting reels to Tenn. grips.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 10, 2011 08:22AM

Hello Everyone.

I have used a carbon tube Tennessee handle with a plate type reel seat wrapped and epoxied onto the tube.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:07AM

American Tackle's Vetre Matrix Handle is extremely comfortable. The hood screws up all the way on most reels creating very smooth, uninterrupted lines.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 02:07PM

Marc,
I have to agree with Roger. Whenever given the choice and opportunity to hold a handle by far the customer almost always chooses the Aero seat by American Tackle.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster