I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pack rod blank??
Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2011 08:44PM

My wife asked me to build a rod for a friend of hers (her lawyer). In her words " His Favorite rod that he wore out was a Thinwick backrod. That was servicable as a spinning rod and a fly rod." He can't find them any more. Or he wants a 6' ultra lite.

After some thinking I came up with a Fenwick Voyaguer Feralite pack rod. Some of them I have seen are 7' 4 peice rods. A couple of them that I have seen have a fly rod reel seat and what appears to be a full wells style handle with a set of slip rings for which I believe are for the spinning set up.

Does any one remember these? Am I correct about my interpretation. I would call and ask personally, but it is her lawyer and he'll probably charge us for having to explain it.......LOL!

Are there any blanks that could be recommended for such a build? I was thinking if I could find one maybe a 7' 4 peice Tiger Eye blank......Thanks

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pack rod blank??
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 05, 2011 09:13PM

Batson has a totally packable little rod in a 7'6", 4 weight ... F764-5. It is a five-piece model, disassembled length of 18". This is a mod-fast action.
St Croix offers another choice in a 7'6", 4 weight ... 42F764.4. It is a four-piece model, disassembled length of 22.5". This is a fast action and in my personal arsenal.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 06, 2011 08:42AM

Rodmaker had an article on how to make a dual purpose rod where you just reverse the grip and it goes from spin to fly. Its got some great ideas in it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 08:44AM

I would go with the St Croix - fast action blank. I did not like the mod or mod fast blanks To soft for me.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 09:34AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.135.80.14.montanasat.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 10:43AM

I have used the Batson F764-5 blank for numerous pack rods. I use the Tennessee handle with slip rings and a combination of spin and single foot fly guides. Fishes great. The cast a 4 or 5 st. fly line well and will cast a small spinner/spoon pretty good also. A bonus to a backpacker is that the finished rod weight next to nothing and is short enough broken down to fit into a day pack.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 07, 2011 12:40PM

I am building a F764-5 right now as a fly rod only. Nice little blank and as Jim said is small! You could put this thing in the cargo pocket of your hiking pants!
I have not fished it yet but so far I like the blank, size, weight and general feel. Price is right too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster