I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New #6 flyrod
Posted by: Martin Honore (94.145.228.---)
Date: January 01, 2011 09:11AM

Hello

I am looking to built a new #6 flyrod to replace my Scott STS 906-3.
But i have no clue what blank to chose.
I liked the action and feel of the STS and am thinking of a rod with the same type of action.
But i have a tight budget for this rod, so i am thinking 100 - 150$ to the blank.
Any idears to witch blank to chose?

Best regards
Martin Honoré

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New #6 flyrod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:03AM

Martin,
I just bot 5 Gatti fly banks and they sent me a #5, model G5, 3pc blank in error. I don't use stuff that light but I was thinking of keeping it, just in-case, if not I was going to send it back. The distrib may give you a good price. I am sure it will be in your price catagory. If, of course, you will go with a #6 i/o a #6. I am pretty sure the blank will handle a #6 line. I had a #6 Sage XP and this is stiffer.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:23AM

That 6 sounds like it may need a 7 or 8 line to load correctly

I had a 9 ft 2 pc RX 7 St Croix that worked well with a 6 line.
Also check out Batson RX 7 or 8

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 10:24AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:25AM

I would take a look at the CTS Affinity X line of blanks. They are just a bit more expensive than what you are looking to spend, but the extra is well worth it. In my opinion they are one of the smoothest casting fast action blanks around. Scott at Fishsticks carries them. They will feel a tad bit slower than the Scott STS, closer to a S4. The great thing about the Affinity X is that it will perform close in just as well as being able to reach far with the same weight line on it.

Date: January 01, 2011 11:01AM

Bill,
The "X" is too fast if the STS action iswhat he is looking for. I just built a #7, 9', "X" and it needs a #9 line to load it. An "MX" would be more like the STS.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.38.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 01:37PM

Martin,
The Gatti that Herb mentioned is an excellent choice if the price is right.
You might also consider the St Croix SCIII or the Cabela's PT+ which will fit in you price range.

Eugene Moore

Date: January 01, 2011 03:04PM

Oooops - meant "if you would go with a #5 i/o a #6".
Sorry.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2011 07:10PM

Gatti makes several different action blanks, from a gentle parabolic to a cannon tip action. Whether any blank satisfies your needs depends upon the environment in which you will use it. Gattis are all high-quality blanks, but service can be a problem.
I recently built a nine foot six weight on a four-piece MHX blank from Mudhole. I prefer a very fast rod and this blank fills that bill while it is easy on the pocketbook.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 07:46PM

I second the MHX 9' 6wt, it is a fine fine fast balnk! Maybe classified as a "CANNON!"

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 08:14PM

In my experience Batson RX7 is best blank for the money, no question.

John

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2011 11:48PM

If you are trying to match the speed and power of the STS, the Batson RX8 would be a good choice. I think you might find their RX7 would be a little soft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 11:49PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Martin Honore (94.145.228.---)
Date: January 02, 2011 03:47AM

OK Thanks

I have a Batson XF905-4 blank that i bought a year ago (But endet up buying another 5# rod).
I think i will try to build that rod and see weather the blank suits my style, and if so i might go with a #6 also.

Best regards
Martin Honoré

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 09:08AM

Try taping guides on that blank and using your line on it. Go out and test cast it, If it is a fast action it may just handle the heaver line.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 09:10AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster