I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Loomis rods lacking split grips???
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:04AM

Jim Spooner has it right on casting rod ergonomics-you just cannot do that shape on a full grip without having a really goofy looking rod. I find split grips work fine for two handed casting. If the butt knob isn't big enough, make it bigger. A minor point, but I like the area of the blank behind the grip for decals. Since it is a little larger diameter, you can do a little more with the decal. For my son's rods I use a label with one of his photos as background, and it really is distinctive.

For my spinning rods, they have evolved into a butt knob, a reel seat, and two ramps. If I want a rod for a rod holder, I will do a full grip.

Discussions like this are really good because they always get all of the opinions and different aspects of the issue out in the open. Since this one has such diverse opinions, I don't see split grips going away in 10 years, or 20 years. For my builds they will go away when I no longer build.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 10:54AM

Tom is dead right about the realities of balance and split grips, if balance is your main issue a full grip is the worst thing you can use.

On the age issue something that gets missed is the reels the people who dislike split grips use, a lot of them use large round reels that can’t be palmed like modern low profile baitcast reels. They have to hold the rod with their entire hand behind the reel instead of having some fingers in front of the trigger all the time. I use low profile left hand reels and the rod is always in my right hand with 2 fingers in front of the trigger, I find that a well shaped split grip and split reel seat is way more comfortable than any other rods I have used.

Back to the original post about GLoomis, Shimano is in a delicate position where they have to balance keeping their old customers and attracting new customers. They have Shimano branded rods like Cumara and Cumulus that have split grips and styling to attract buyers wanting the latest thing, and are keeping GLoomis as the brand with traditional styling, considering the retail prices for the rods and the margins who can blame them.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:27PM

Great Post... Worth the reading.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:27PM

Agreed ! Duane

I have had conversations with fisherman and Quality and Attention are key factors in building a rod.... I guess in some ways its harder to convey it in just words alone when talking to folks in general about it . It frustrates me when I tell someone I build custom fishing rods! They come back with a caption I listed above or something in the nature that would dis your inspiration. My brothers have seen the first two rods I built...which were my own rods and they were so impressed with them they went straight home and got a few of there St. Croix and brought them over to be refurbished ! They were not convinced that I could build a better rod than what they could buy from St.Croix. Imagine that ! SO Duane I agree with you 100%

Now its like I cant keep them from coming over and seeing what I am up too LOL . Not sure if that's a good thing LOL . One things is for sure everyone on rodbuilders.org can take some credit for this and I mean that in a big way ! Without the support and helpful insight it may have turned out differently THANKS a Bunch Folks !

From a happy new builder created by rodbuilders.org Members (you all should be proud of your selves ! ) you have created a ..........I will let you decide on that LOL

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: George Roth (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 12:02AM

I was looking to see about contacting Rich Forhan and ran across this article regarding split rear grip handles. Rich was a mentor through the Bass Fishing Home Page and taught me most of what I know about building bass rods. I continue to build them in much the same way that he taught me. If you are still watching this board and not off on Safari somewhere, I'd love to hear from you.

Best regards........George Roth
George's Custom Rods
Weiser, ID

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 01:21AM

George,
I' m always here, even when I'm gone. My email, phone number, etc. has not changed. Give me a call. If I'm out, I'll get back to you when I return. There should be an interview article in RodMaker by Tom on this issue and others that I wrote about over the years.
Rich

Posted by: George Roth (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 11:29AM

Rich...

So good to hear from you! I can no longer find your contact information, thus the post. You can shoot me an email at: georgescustomrods@msn.com. I have been on the edge of rod building for a couple - three years due to back surgeries, etc. Nice to be back in touch.

George

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster