I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing Cork on Trolling Rods
Posted by: Chris Newberg (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 05:07PM

I'm working on replacing some cork grips off of trolling rods. The cork got messed up by the rod holders and the owner is looking to go with EVA or something stronger than cork. Since I don't want to replace the rods I'll have to work from the bottom up. Naturally there will be problems with the taper of the rod blank and getting a firm grip with the foam. Does anybody have any suggestions here? How about the shrink tubing or is that made to go over the cork? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing Cork on Trolling Rods
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 05:15PM

Slick butt nylon handle is the strongest for rod holders. If it is just the butt that you have to replace you can sand the old cork down on a lath to the size of the slick butt and use it as an arbor and slid the slick butt over it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 06:03PM

Chris,
I woudl not worry about the fore grip.
Just use a pair of pliars to chew off the butt section of cork grips.
Then, use masking tape to build up the butt section so that it is uniform. Leave 1/8th inch spaces between the rows of 3/4 inch masking tape. Make the diameter of the butt - uniform from the butt of the rod to the reel seat.
Then, just take an eva handle that is sized to fit the butt of the rod, coat with 5 minute epoxy and slip the grip on the handle.
Clean up the excess epoxy while still wet with Alcohol and you will be set.
Glue on a hard butt cap to prevent butt end damage and you will be ready to troll.

If you are into heavy duty trolling, as Bill said - use a slick butt for good long term use.

Another option is to go to a hardware store and pick up an appropriately sized piece of black plastic hose. Cut off a section of hose that is longer than the length of the required butt handle section. Then, place the hose in an oven for a bit at low heat to soften the plastic- have a dowel or broom stick of an appropriate size available after heating the hose, so that you can slip the hose onto the dowl or broom stick to cool. Then, the hose will cool off - straight with no bends. Then, use the hard black plastic hose for a trolling rod handle. Total cost of the hose will be about 10 cents. Put on a butt cap to finish it off and you will be good to go.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 06:47PM

I made a couple of for lack of better terms tapered adapters that slide into the butt of the rod that are about 12" long then I just slide the grip up the taper with plenty of glue as a lubricant. the largest od is just a bit larger than the butt diameter to allow for easier installation. The adapters are just tape wound up a cut up blank .wrap up then move up a little, and wrap up some more progressely getting larger and larger. I then coat it with glue, smooth it out and let it dry. If you have a lathe, you could turn a dowell and coat it and do the same thing, but at the time I did not have a lathe.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster