I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Casting Reel Seat
Posted by: Andrei Sava (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:00PM

How do you guys feel about confort of this reel. Have bought one for a client, and ended up telling him it's the most awful and uncomfortable trigger reel seat i've ever seen in my entire life. Is it just me or this is something everybody noticed.

I've asked a few friends before deciding to put this on the forum, and they couldn't adjust to the reel seat no matter what. Was it designed in the dark?..... the trigger is to far back, and the reel feels miles away, and it feels like it's always slipping, and very uncomfortable.... How did this hit the market?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Casting Reel Seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:32PM

Andrel,
I think that the minima reel seat is the most awful and uncomfortable trigger reel seat that I've ever seen in my entire life!!

I couldn't agree more.

Many many reel seats on the market that work much better and are much more comfortable.

I think that the idea of "open" reel seats, reel seats with nothing to hold in your hand, reel seats that are too small - are not what a good fisherman needs for a good long hard day of fishing.

But - this is only my opinion and I am happy to put on any reel seat that a client wishes. I also have no problems in cutting off a handle and reel seat and putting on a different one, if the client doesn't like, what was put on the rod the first time around.

Different - is what makes the world go around.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:57PM

Andrei;

I think you will find how this and other split seats feel; depends on the size diameter of the blank on which they are being used.

When using on a narrow blank your experience is quite common, but when used on larger blanks you may find the opposite is true. The trigger won’t feel so far back and the reel won’t seem miles away.

It’s another case of using the right component for the right task. Unfortunately sometimes the only way we discover this is by trial and error.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 08:45PM

I'm not a big fan of them either, but you have to take into consideration that a lot of people are palming the reel and the trigger is around the 2nd or 3rd finger back, not just the first finger. I do discourage using them on my builds, but some people are confortable with them, and the customer ultimately has to make that decision.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 09:37PM

Wish I would have seen this thread before I glued one on a bass rod this morning! It's a split grip with the minima reel seat and micros for me, so I suppose I'll see how it works out. After I read this I did compare it to the fuji seats and the trigger is further back. That may be fine for me as Ron says, I tend to palm the reel more often than not.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 11:40AM

Nothing beats a Castaway reel seat cut down and shaped yourself if you're looking for a split seat.

DR

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 20, 2010 01:23PM

I hate 'em. Hate the Fuji ECS's that I've split as well. I don't find split seats at all comfortable.

I did have a customer rod planned with a Minima, at his direction. One day he was out fishing with another rod he had with a Minima seat. He had a fish on that flexed the rod so deeply that the reel came out of the seat. He promptly changed his order to an ECS.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2010 06:09PM

If a person wants a split seat - so to speak - the use of either the Fuji or Pac Bay skeletal seats work very well.

Although not technically a split seat, because you have the filler in the middle of the back and front sections, they can be very comforatble with the right filler, and if the skeletal seat is of the right size.

If you use the hidden hood technique, where the front or non threaded portion of the reel seat is buried in cork, you have a very desirable reel seat.

i.e. your hand is resting only on cork - no plastic or metal to touch.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 09:25AM

On a casting rod I can see it. But a spinning rod where your hand sits on the seat it is very uncomfortable.
The aero seat is very comfortable for spinning.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 07:41PM

I have them on half of my casting rods. I like them. I always palm my reels. I like the feel of these more than the ecm or the acs seats. the way I palm my reels, none of my fingers even touch the blank on the rod with the fujis. speaking of fuji, I'm still waiting for the new sk2 seats. and I have never had a reel pop off - lots and lots of solid hooksets on 6lb+ bass and the occasional 15lb channel cat. and some BIG pike and muskie. maybe it's the reels I use? shimano and quantum.

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 05:35AM

All my personal seats have ECS seats with the middle cut out. I like how they feel, even on small diameter blanks. But, it all has to do with how you hold a reel. I palm my reel, and two fingers are on the blank behind the trigger, one right on the front seat, and my index finger right on the blank in front of the front seat. That gives me direct contact with three fingers on the blank. It's hard to beat.

Since CastAway came out with their seat, I've used it a BUNCH when folks demand a full seat (for situations like Matt mentioned). You still get all the contact with the blank, but none of the worries about a reel foot popping out under heavy load.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: December 23, 2010 09:09AM

Well I think it all boils down to how you hold the reel/rod and your reel shape, rod size and the size of your hands. I have several of them I use with light rods and on my 8' CB rod all with low profile Revos and don't notice any issues what so ever. On the other hand for me the ACS is not my favorite, the double groove doesn't feel right on the finger that is against the trigger, so for me it doesn't fit my hand and finger size like I like, but that doesn't mean it is a bad seat. So I think it is more of an individual thing based on hand size, rod size, reel shape etc. I certainly would recommend placing the reel in the seat and trying how it fits before you epoxy it down.

I don't like the spinning version or any open version for spinning and would highly recommend the Aero seat as previously mentioned. I use spinning gear as much as I use bait casting and I wouldn't build a rod for myself without an Aero seat. I bought a spinning version of the Minima and it is still in my parts box, never used it after feeling it on the rod.

Posted by: hector_yamasaki (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: December 24, 2010 07:45PM

Hi all there,

I agree with Mr. Lechner, I use Minima reelseats for many rods and all clients are satisfied with it, but it's true that every people has its own taste, for someones doesn't like the "feel" of the Minimas; all depends of the style or way how the rod is holding and of course of the kind of the rod and the reel used. Some people prefers more traditional seat like the ECS, other love de ASC, but others, don't. Is a good idea ask the client for his preference and if you can, let them try different seats.

Taking advantage, I like to wish you all, Merry Christmas and a very happy 2011.

hy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster