I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Deep Pressed Micro’s/ALPS mini guides & tips
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 08:30AM

In the past I have given enough honest feedback on Batson products to the point that a few times I’ve been accused of working for them. So I wanted to head of any criticism by making it clear that;
I do not work for the Batson’s, they do not send me money; have never even taken me out to breakfast, lunch, or dinner).
Nor do they sponsor me (perhaps that will change one day, but not as of yet).
But I do consider them friends, along with Bill and Lance at Swampland, Jason Brunner at St Croix, Stephen Pratt at CTS, Bob McKammey, Scott Parsons, and a few other supplier/Manufacturers.
All of who have on occasion sent or given me product to try or experiment with, sometimes asking for input and design feed back, sometimes not.

Batson being first to import Micro guides to the US for custom builders, chose to take the long road in developing their next generation “ALPS” version of micro guides and for a couple of very good reasons.
1. There was nothing wrong with their first generation guides, (I’ve tried every brand and still prefer the Batson Micro’s) after handling some 2000 or more, and seeing only 4 fail, one of those was on a personal rod that was absolutely my fault, there was no need to rush.

2. With some of the other companies jumping on the band wagon in an effort to catch up. In hastening to bring their guides to market, and consequently dealing with failures and having to pull back and punt (redesign) several times because of the problems of not understanding the market (specifically the US bass rod market).
The Batson Team IMO chose to wait until they had designed the right guide.

Advantages I see in the new design:
1. Obviously the Alps design further strengthens the insert to frame connection, and with only seeing 4 failures in the past I can safely assume this should lesson that percentage.
2. For those liking a longer foot to make construction easier and a few extra thread wraps
for more holding security. They have lengthened the feet by about 16 percent.
3. They have beefed up the frame’s thickness adding to the guide frames strength.

Now here is were IMO the new design really excels
They have replaced the arrow head design at the end of the foot with a swelled out design on the foot base before it turns up for the neck.
The advantages to this are
4. It widens the foot print at the point of were most of any sideways torque to the guide occurs. Making it stronger at this point creates more stability and better distributes any pressure across the blank’s surface:
5. They have also added a curvature to the underside of the foot to better conform to the blanks radius, especially out towards the rod's tip where it is needed the most.

After hearing the concerns of a few that had a couple guides pull out. I did much testing to see if I could find out why. One of the things I did was to start using un-died silk, allowing for a transparent wrap. This makes it easy to see the guide through the wrap. One of the things that surprised me was the amount of tunneling I saw even with these tiny guides.
This led me to the conclusion that some (if not much) of the concern about pullout was due to the tunnels effect not firmly securing the guide in the wrap. With that gap between the end of the wrap and the arrow head at the other end, it could allow for some slippage forward when under pressure creating enough momentum to allow a guide to pull out.
Moving to the wedged out design forward to the base of the neck should make any tunneling behind that of little to no effect

6. This puts the swell at the point of the greatest amount of epoxy further strengthening the guide to blank connection.

Some of the micro’s that have come out recently have narrowed down the neck in an effort to allow a Forhan locking wrap to more securely hold the guide in place. IMO opinion this is the worst thing that could have been done! Doesn’t make sense to remove material from the most stressed part of a guide (the neck) in an effort to secure it to the blank
7. Widening the foot at the base of the neck accomplishes the same benefit with out sacrificing the structural integrity of creating a narrower neck design.
8. Although I’ve not tried it yet, the new design may even eliminate the need for a locking wrap for those who prefer not to use them.
9. There are also intentional slight width variations on the sides of the foot frame allowing for what I can only describe as a visually unnoticeable staggering effect on the thread wraps which should further increase holding efficiency
10. Additionally for those of us who prefer a shorter foot widening the frame at the base of the neck allows for the foot to be shortened or ground off for less or easier thread wrapping with out loosing the benefit of the previous arrow design.

Batson braced Tip Tops,
FINALLY!
Not sure just how large of a tube they will be available in yet, but have one with 6mm tube on hand. 4mm insert.
The actual brace design should help eliminate or at least lesion line tangle.
Positively better then none-braced tips, with a slightly larger bracing structure then some of the others.

But still suggest that on rods seeing a lot of tip abuse or using heavy lines on spiral wrapped rods people should stay with a larger 6mm tip. Simply for the structural strength the more material in them provides.
But for anything else these should be perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 08:40AM by Steve Gardner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Deep Pressed Micro’s/ALPS mini guides & tips
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 08:48AM

who carries these ALPS deep pressed micros and tiptops, sounds like ,from what you wrote it would be a good idea to try them out i have 3 more rods I am going to build and is in teh process of purchasing the components for them.

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 09:18AM

Bingham Enterprises is now a Batson dealer and stock many of their fine products and if we do not have it in stock we can easily order it for you.

Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
Binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 09:25AM

Wow>> Steve that was a great assessment of the new ALPS Mini guides & Tip tops that we will be coming out with.
These ALPS guides and tip tops will not be available as of yet >> we are deciding on the sizes and how we want to introduce them. I will have samples at the ICRBE in February for all to see.
More to come soon>> these are exciting times at Batson's and for the industry as a whole. there will be a lot of changes in the coming year>>>so much MORE to come>>
All of this and other improvements would not be possible without all the support the industry has shown the Batson Family and TEAM>>
Thank you all for making 2010 the best year in the History of the Batson TEAM and the products we bring to the industry.

Bill Batson
CEO
The Batson TEAM
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS products
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Date: December 14, 2010 09:27AM

Lorenzo;
Bill answered question before I finished typing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 09:30AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:23AM

Would it be possible to see these guides. They some real nice Pictures ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:30AM

Another good reason to go to the ICRBE.......

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 14, 2010 01:01PM

Hello All

Steve those are the same guides you had at the NC gathering at Tom's place, or were they something else?
Either way the ones you had at Tom's were nice looking.
By the way the doctors canceled my heart surgery till after Feb so I guess I have to bring a walker to the ICRBE for those long standing times.
See you there.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 14, 2010 03:00PM

Robert;
Yes these are the guides that were at the NC gathering

Hate to hear about the delay, but look foward to seeing you there.

Posted by: Ryan Thirtyacre (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 11:23PM

man, these guides sound amazing. any idea when they will be available for purchase? i may have to put off my next build until they are ready...

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 12:14AM

Pics?

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster