I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima 4 fly guide question
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 05:16PM

I use minima 4 fly and spinning guides for most my spinning and casting rod builds.
Now i am venturing into an area i seldom go: light fly rods. I want to build a small 8 ft 4 wt fly rod to use this winter.
First question: Using a 4 wt line and nail knots for leader and backing what size guides would i use? Would 4 or 5's be too small?
Second Q: For my stripping guides i was tossing around the idea of also minima 4 single foots but an 8 and 10.
I know most fly fishermen like ceramic/agate insert type double foot guides as stripping guides but what are the down sides of doing what i am thinking?
Third Question. I have loop type tip tops, unbraced micro tip tops, Alps and Fuji braced ones etc. I was thinking about adding an extra fly guide as tip top just because its a fraction of the weight of regular fly tips. Again, i know its not traditional, but does it make the rod worse or better or just look odd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima 4 fly guide question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2010 05:36PM

Not sure what you use now on such lines and connections, but the opening on a Minima 4 is about the same as most ceramic size 6's. So if you've been using 6's with no problem, the M4 should be okay for you.

Date: December 07, 2010 07:15PM

Tom,
Thanks. But my whole problem is no frame of reference: My lightest current fly rod is a 9 weight.
I have no idea if a 6 ceramic will pass a 4 wt fly line and nail knot to backing.

Date: December 07, 2010 07:49PM

Yes it certainly will, but not entirely smoothly. But then you only need to pass it when rigging up - I never bring the nail knot back inside the tiptop once I begin fishing. It never goes back on the reel until I'm done for the day.

Date: December 07, 2010 08:02PM

Thanks Tom!

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 08:04PM

I would think ceramics would just add to the swing weight of a fly rod that small. Why not wire if youre concerned with weight?

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: December 08, 2010 01:26AM

Hi:I`m new.Trying to cipher all this out-Lrfty Kreh`s advise is the polar opposite of this "Minima" concept-I`m speaking of flyrods here-He like to use size 20 as the butt stripper to cut friction,I think,maybe wrap-around too.I`m gping to build some switch rode for trout in the Truckee River and a heavier stick for Pyramid Lake [Those Cuts get pretty big]
Anyway,I`m trying to determine what`s best for my "Truckee River Styx"
Advice is always welcomed.
Regards,Otis

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 01:47AM

A Fuji Blag5 Alconite .114" ID (I'm going to try these on a five weight by advice of a couple builders who have done so) is big enough for a seven weight line and a nail knot, and also the welded loop to perfection loop of a seven weight, I just checked. Nine weight loop to loop I had to pull it through. So the four weight is no problem. I don't have any Minima 4 guides or I would measure them. Pretty sure a Minima 4 size 5 will be fine since they have even thinner ring material.

Greg

Date: December 08, 2010 08:37AM

Lefty isn't a rod builder. A great fisherman no doubt, but not a rod builder. Just keep that in mind.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 10:37PM

I use Minima 4's in a size 4 for fly rods casting up to a 6 weight line. I will NEVER use snake guides again. Minima's are NOT ceramic and weigh no more than wire guides. I use nail knot connections for flyline to leader. I always wind on a size 5 minima, rather than use a tubed tip top. Lefty's concept is a bit "out-dated". A larger butt guide does not "cut friction" any more than a conventionally sized guide does. It merely allows your "birdsnest" to travel further up into the guide train where it will eventually "hang up" in a smaller opening.

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2010 12:13AM

Pk.Lefty i`sn`t a rod builder-granted,but that doesn`t mean he doesn`t know wha the likes,does it?
Can you tell me the main advantages of us ing these tiny guides?Low weight?,What?
Pleas enlighten me?
Tx,Otis

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 10, 2010 09:04AM

I guess its true what my wife says: I am getting senile. I was filing some new build specifications away last night and found the build sheet for a 9 wt TFO that i made with a reversible butt so it can be used as a spinning rod. That pilot still raves about it.
It used Minima 4's in size 4 with 9 wt line. The butt guide setup cut spinning cast distance a little(maybe 10 to 15 ft with nylon, less with braid) i see from my notes.
My 4 wt will be tested tomorrow.

Date: December 10, 2010 09:58AM

Any time you add unnecessary weight, say in the form of guides that are larger than necessary, you reduce the rod's Speed (reaction and recovery times). Tape up a set of large guides on any rod and cast it a bit. Then move to much smaller guides and repeat. You'll easily notice the difference in rod response.

Always use the smallest guides that will pass your line and any required connections and hold up to the task at hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster