I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripped Bass, single foot guides ?
Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 07, 2010 04:23PM

I built a stripper spinning rod using LVSG single foot guides,30,20,12,7,7,7,7. cust. loved it. Now he wants the next heavier version 7'6" med. Can I stick with the LVSG single foot guides or
should I move up to double foot guides ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripped Bass, single foot guides ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2010 04:35PM

I would build something like that this way: 30SVSG, 20SVSG, 12SVSG, 7LSG. The low frame fly type guides are very durable even though they're a single foot design.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 06:05PM

You might use a double foot guide for the first guide and all the rest single foot OR just go single foot the whole way. I have striper rods build both ways and I have found single foot guides hold up just fine.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 06:25PM

Double foot 30 then go to singles, works fine

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 06:25PM

I Striped Bass fish 1/2 the year and I can say that single foot guides WILL hold up just fine. The only problem I have with them is my big feet in the dark.

Many times the next day after a night fishing trip I'll find single foot guides bent down near the blank. But again, this is MY fault by having two rods out with one on the deck with one in my hands swapped back and forth all night. I kick them around in the dark by accident. I build mine with SF Micro guides as runners, you surely wont have an issue with 7's.

DR

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 07:16PM

I agree that you will be fine with 7's. I use 6's (TLDBSG) on surf rods and have no trouble even when passing a uni-knotted 40# braid shock leader. (It is a very small knot tapered using knot sense).

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 12:24AM

I stock the TLDBSG 6's, and can tell yu that hands dwn they are the best single foot guide for what you are doing. They are much stronger and sturdier, they do not catch line and get tangled up like all other single foots do - not on a cast, usually when you change lures or take a fish ff, the guides are designed to let yu shake th rod and untangle the line > I love this feature. THey also sit lower to the blank and th angle of the guids allows knots to pass better than regular singlefoot guides.

The biggest problem with these guides is very few people know that I hae thm in stock. But EVERYONE who actually uses them likes them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 08:21AM

Billy
Got a link to those guides ? Can not find them

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:09AM

Th only place that has any info on them is on stripersonline, and there ar a few pics of them in the photo page here
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:34AM

Thanks Billy. Now I know why I could not find them.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster