I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra light 9 footer
Posted by: Darek Idus (77.236.26.---)
Date: November 26, 2010 02:37PM

Hi All,
A dilemma from Poland. I need an ultralight trout spinning rod to the specification below:
Lure: 1/64-1/32 oz,
Line: braid 4-6 lbs,
Length: 9-10 feet,
Action: medium
Casting distance: max. 20 feet
Number of rod pieces: 4 pcs preferred

Method: micro jigging in small creeks where trout up to 4 pounds can be caught. No much space for drag fighting. Difficult landing conditions – elevated, steem and bushy banks. Overhead casting very rare.

My first thought was to go for a graphite fly blank 4-5 wt but I’m affraid it is not sufficiently powerful in its butt section. An option would be a fiberglass fly blank but a 9 footer made from glass will be too slow and heavy.

Powerful and ultralight, long and sensitive- is it a mission impossible?

Sorry for my poor English and thanks for any suggestions as for the blank, handle, guides etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra light 9 footer
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 03:57PM

Check out the Batson line up. They will have a blank to fit the need.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 05:15PM

I suggest the Batson RX7 Steelhead blanks IST1081-F
4-8 Lb line, light tip, good backbone.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 08:30PM

I have used 4 and 5 wt fly rod blanks built as spinning and casting rods for 20+ years to white bass fish.I rarely catch a 4lb fish, but occasionally have caught catfish , walleye ond other species that go 10 lb+. In fairly upen water they handle these fish easily. The brush in your streams could make it questionable with the fly blanks in this range but they have a lot more power than one would think. I wouldn't be afraid to try a 5wt or even a 4. They make great spinning rods. My favorite is an old St Croix SCIV, 9'- 4wt. Good Luck

Date: November 27, 2010 04:40AM

Thanks to all.

Did anybody fished the Phenix ultralight rods?

[www.mudhole.com]

The one perfectly matching what i need is FX902-2-B.
Is is a good choice?
Thanks

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.75.162.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2010 10:34PM

Darek,
Based on the fishing conditions you described I would probably target a 6 or 7 weight IM6 graphite or fiberglass blank. Contact with surrounding vegetation should be expected in such tight quarters. The stiffer blank should take more punishment without being overly heavy. The extra strength will help in extracting the fish from cover. Will not be a good casting instrument, but you're not looking for long casts. Generally for ultralight I would look for a 4 or 5 weight but not under your conditions, just too long and fragile. Even the hookset may become ensnared jeopardizing the rod tip to an average fish.
Durabilty should be veiwed as a high priority.

Good luck,
Eugene Moore

Date: November 28, 2010 05:34AM

Hi Eugene,
That's exactly what I consider. I'd be happy to make this rod on a fiberglass blank but can't find any 9' long. Can you target one please.
Thanks all for your support.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.236.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 11:28AM

Darek,
You might try the Forecast F906-4 for an IM6 4-piece blank.
I've been told they use a fiberglass scrim for increased durability.

Sorry can't find anything in my catalogs for a fiberglass choice. You might try the @#$%& sites for an older glass blank or contact Lamiglas or Seeker to see if such a rod is still available.

Also check out this thread toward the bottom of the page
[rodbuilding.org]

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 11:31AM by Eugene Moore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster