I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painted or Colored Blanks
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: November 24, 2010 12:26PM

Would like to build a few quality rods this winter and was hoping to spice things up and was wondering if anyone has any information on where to buy a quality colored or painted blank. Any info would be great - looking for a solid blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painted or Colored Blanks
Posted by: Darrell L.Pack (---.qncyfl.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 01:19PM

Jay: Go to the left list and click on Mudhole, they have a line of colored blanks! Hope this heips.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 03:39PM

Does anyone know if Graphite-USA has resurrected itself? I haven't seen anything about them in a few years, especially since they moved from southern California. However, they used to offer most of their blanks (for a small fee) in a variety of colors. I built a rod on one of their blanks in forest green and I like it very much.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Adam Edwards (210.9.200.---)
Date: November 24, 2010 05:28PM

Hi Hunter, Yes Graphite USA is now called United Composites. I have built blanks from the old Graphite USA and United Composites and the new stuff is heaps better. Regards Adam

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2010 06:49PM

give lance a call at swampland. he usually has some painted blanks on hand

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2010 04:36AM

Jay/Hunter

As Adam stated GUSA is now United Composites USA and have made some great changes to quality control. Note the blanks only come in natural graphite gloss.

Tight lines,

john H

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 08:16AM

When you say "Solid Blank" are you looking for ice rod blanks, heavy offshore blanks, or is solid a euphemism for high quality? Takes a little while to get them but CTS blanks come in a bunch of nice colors.

Lane

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2010 08:56AM

Does anyone have any experience with the CTS or Mudhole Painted blanks. I am looking for a quality blank to build a couple personal rods for myself. Again I do not need to have the top of the line but don't want to cheap out the rod blank to sacrifice color for action. I'd like to get a colored blank but want a blank that will serve the rigours of bass fishing. Any info on those whom have either built on a Mudhole Custom Builders blank or the CTS blanks. They seem to have a solid selection but am hesistant as I do not know their prices and fear shipping prices from New Zealand may be ALOT. Any info would be great!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 26, 2010 09:10AM

You can purchase painted blanks (limited options) OR do your own (any blank you like). There are two ways to do your own ... pay an auto body shop to run them when they have suitable colors mixed for repair jobs ($20-25 per blank has been my experience) or you can do them in the yard (portable dryer, cardboard, table, spray paint, spray sealer). The former will give you a really nice finish, the latter will do very well IF you follow proper techniques.

There is nothing "wrong" with the Mud Hole painted blanks. They aren't the fanciest horses in the stable, but they will get the job done. IF you want to take a shot a doing your own - buy something with a natural finish - MHX, Bing SHX, etc. That will save you from doing much prep ... just rub with a grey Scotchbrite and go to town. There are certain paints/sealers that work better than others, use the search function and you will find information that will help.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2010 11:17AM

I have painted many blanks both new & used , the choices are unlimited , I've used everything from Dupli-color automotive paints ,to Krylon & Rustoleum , with good results. Practice on an old blank or even a new blank as you can remove fresh paint with thinner and a rag . Painting gives you your own color something no one else has , you can even match your favorite vehicle color , paint gives you lots of choice! ! Just remember practice ! its painting not rocket surgery ! ! ! Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster